Serbia (Serbian: Србија / Srbija), is a country in Southern Europe, located in former Yugoslavia. It contains two autonomous provinces: Vojvodina and Kosovo & Metohija. However, Kosovo declared independence in 2008.
|Currency:||Serbian Dinar (RSD)|
|Hitchability:||<rating country='rs' />|
|Meet fellow hitchhikers on Trustroots or BeWelcome|
|<map lat='44.2373283' lng='20.448' zoom='6' view='0' width='300' height='320' />|
It is pretty easy to hitchhike in Serbia during the day, but at night it gets very hard. Street lights are rare outside of the cities, and even the smaller cities are not so easy to hitch beside.
In Serbia most of the main roads have junctions off towards the cities, so you could be dropped 4 or 5 km away from the nearest place and find yourself having to walk to the next decent junction.
Hitchhiking on the motorway is frowned upon, but you won't get into any trouble. Police will only ask you to go off at the next ramp. If you hitchhike on the motorway, it is better to get out at the toll stations, where it is considered normal to hitchhike.
- According to Rozwal's experience (October 2011) it is very hard to get a ride in the Serbian countryside of Vojvodina. The waiting time is long and the distance covered very little. However, when people are approached directly at small fuel stations at the end of a village they take hitchhikers very eagerly. When hitchhiking in Serbia, according to my experience - it is even more important to try to talk to the drivers than in other countries. Unfortunately, not always is there a place where drivers can be approached personally
Hitchhiking along the motorways seems to be no problem during the day. Serbian drivers tend to be friendly. When it's getting dark it is recommended to search for a safe place to stay. While riding through the night, vicious attacks to cars and people on parking areas or along the road seem to happen from time to time. Make sure that you get out at a 24h petrol station or motel along the way.
When only hitchhiking through Serbia to get to Hungary, Bulgaria or wherever, you can pay at most service stations along the motorway with euro notes or bank card. Sometimes they also offer cash machines to withdraw euro notes. The country itself is quite cheap compared to Hungary or other Western European countries. Drivers will not ask you to pay for the ride.
- Hello - Zdravo
- Excuse me... - Izvinite
- Do you possibly drive in the direction of ...? - Izvinite da li idete u pravcu ... ?
- Could I get a lift to...? - Mogu li dobiti prevoz do...?
- - a gasstation / a service area / a parking place? / along the highway - benzinska pumpa / odmorishte / parking / duz autoputa
- pay-toll - naplatna rampa
- motorway - autoput
- Is the lift free? / I can't pay. - Da li je prevoz besplatan? / Ne Mogu da platim.
- Do you speak ...? / any other languages / Could you speak slower, please? - Da li govorite...? / neki drugi jezik/ Mozete li govoriti sporije, molim?
- yes / no / maybe / no thanks - Da / Ne / Mozda / Ne Hvala..
- That’s great / perfect / bad / no problem - Super/ Odlichno / Savrsheno / Loshe / Nema problema
- I don't understand. / I don't know. - Ne razumem. / Ne znam.
- I'm going to ... / Where are you going to? - Idem do.. / Gde vi idete?
- My name is... / What's your name? / I’m from... / Where are you from? - Ja se zovem../ Kako se ti zovesh? Ja sam iz... / Odakle ste vi?
- I’m ... years old. / How old are you? - Ja imam ... godina./ Koliko godina ti imash?
- I study.... / My subjects are... / I’m in my ... year. / I will become a .... - Studiram.... / Moji predmeti su... / Ja sam u ... godini./ Postacu...
- I have a boy-friend/a girl-friend. / I'm married. - Ja imam decka/devojku / Ja sam ozenjen (male) / udata (female)
- I’m on holiday. / I visit friends in... / I'm hitchhiking around... - Ja sam na odmoru. / Poseticu prijatelje iz... / Stopiram..
- I will stay for... / I’m going back... - Ostajem ... (number) dana (days) / Vracam se ...
- Don’t touch me! / Let me out! / Stop! / Help! - Ne diraj me! / Pusti me napolje! / Stop! / U pomoc!
- Can you drop me off here? - Mozete li me ostaviti ovde?
- Thank you! / Have a nice day/trip! - Hvala (puno)! / Srecan put!
- Where can I find ...? - Gde mogu naci...?
- - the city centre / a map - centar grada / mapu
- - a toilet / a supermarket / a pharmacy / a campsite - toalet / supermarket / apoteku / kamp
- - an internetcafe / a cashmachine / a bank / exchange office - internet kafe / bankomat / banku / menjachnicu
- - a metrostation / a busstation / a trainstation - metro / autobusku stanicu / zeleznicku stanicu
- - the highway to ... / a good hitchhikingspot - autoput do... / dobro mesto za stopiranje
- water / (herbal) tea / hot chocolate / coffee - voda / (biljni) chaj / toplu cokoladu / kafu
- beer / (red, white) wine / juice - pivo / (crveno, belo) vino / sok
- vegetarian / diner / bread / a cheap restaurant - vegeterijansku / veceru / hleb / jeftin restoran
- Cheers! / Enjoy your meal! - Ziveli! / Prijatno!
- I’m hungry / thirsty / fine / cold / hot / sick - Gladan sam / zedan sam / dobro sam / hladno (mi je)/ vruce (mi je) / bolestan sam
- north / east / south / west - sever / istok / jug / zapad
- yesterday / today / tomorrow - juče / danas / sutra
- zero / one / two / three / four / five / six / seven / eight / nine / ten - nula / jedan / dva / tri / cetiri / pet / sest / sedam / osam / devet / deset
- eleven / twelve / thirteen / fourteen / fifteen / sixteen / seventeen / eighteen / nineteen / twenty - jedanaest / dvanaest / trinaest / cetrnaest / petnaest / sesnaest / sedamnaest / osamnaest / devetnaest / dvadeset
- twenty-one / thirty - dvadeset-jedan / trideset
- hour / day / week / month / kilometre - sat / dan / sedmica / mesec / kilometar
- left / right / straight on / before/ after - levo / desno / pravo / pre / posle
- this / next / last - ovo / sledece / poslednje
- often / seldom / never / long / short - cesto / retko / nikad / dugo / kratko
- up / down / over / under - gore / dole / iznad / ispod
- How far is it (on foot)? / Where are we? - Koliko je daleko (peshke)? / Gde smo?
- How much does it cost? / What time is it? - Koliko kosta? / Koliko je sati?
- We are looking for a place to sleep. - Trazimo mesto da prespavamo.
- Where can we buy a ticket? - Gde mozemo da kupimo kartu?
- Who? / What? / Where? / Why? / When? - ko? / šta? / gde? / zašto / kada?
- How? / How much? / How long? / Which? - Kako? / Koliko? / Koliko dugo? / Koji?
Lana in Serbia (hitchhiking through the Balkans)
Albania • Andorra • Austria • Belarus • Belgium • Bosnia and Herzegovina • Bulgaria • Croatia • Cyprus • Czech Republic • Denmark • Estonia • Finland • France • Germany • Greece • Hungary • Iceland • Ireland • Italy • Kosovo • Latvia • Liechtenstein • Lithuania • Luxembourg • Macedonia • Malta • Moldova • Monaco • Montenegro • Netherlands • Norway • Poland • Portugal • Romania • Russia • San Marino • Serbia • Slovakia • Slovenia • Spain • Sweden • Switzerland • Turkey • United Kingdom • Ukraine • Vatican