|Currency:||Serbian Dinar (RSD)|
Error creating thumbnail: Unable to save thumbnail to destination(average) to
Error creating thumbnail: Unable to save thumbnail to destination(good)
|Meet fellow hitchhikers on Trustroots|
|<map lat='44.2373283' lng='20.448' zoom='6' view='0' width='300' height='320' />|
The province Kosovo & Metohija declared itself as independent in 2008. For more background information check this Wikipedia article.
It is pretty easy to hitchhike in Serbia during the day, but at night it gets very hard. Street lightings are rare outside of the cities, and even the smaller cities are not so easy to hitch beside. In Serbia most of the main roads have junctions off towards the cities, so you could be dropped 4 or 5 km away from the nearest place and find yourself having to walk to the next decent junction. Tapwater is drinkable!
Hitchhiking on the motorway is frowned upon, but you won't get into any trouble. Police will only please you to go off at the next ramp. If you hitchhike on the motorway, it is better to step off in the toll stations, where it is considered normal to hitchhike. It seems to be common that some truck drivers pay the police with cigarettes or chocolate for not checking their goods. Haven't heard of any police trouble with hitchhikers, but it should be wise to keep calm and to avoid issues.
Hitchhiking along the motorways seems to be no problem during the day. Serbian drivers tend to be friendly. When it's getting dark it is recommended to search a safe place to stay. While riding through the night, vicious attacks to cars and people on parking areas or along the road seem to happen from time to time. Make sure that you get out on a 24h tankstation or some motels along the way.
When only hitchhiking through Serbia to get to Hungary, Bulgaria or wherever, you can pay at most service stations along the motorway with the Euro. Sometimes they also offer cash machines to withdraw Euro notes. The country itself is quite cheap compared to Hungary or other Western European countries.
- Hello - Zdravo
- Excuse me... - Izvinite
- Do you possibly drive in the direction of ...? - Izvinite da li idete u pravcu ... ?
- Could I get a lift to...? - Mogu li dobiti prevoz do...?
- - a gasstation / a service area / a parking place? / along the highway - benzinska pumpa / odmorishte / parking / duz autoputa
- pay-toll - naplatna rampa
- motorway - autoput
- Is the lift free? / I can't pay. - Da li je prevoz besplatan? / Ne Mogu da platim.
- Do you speak ...? / any other languages / Could you speak slower, please? - Da li govorite...? / neki drugi jezik/ Mozete li govoriti sporije, molim?
- yes / no / maybe / no thanks - Da / Ne / Mozda / Ne Hvala..
- That’s great / perfect / bad / no problem - Super/ Odlichno / Savrsheno / Loshe / Nema problema
- I don't understand. / I don't know. - Ne razumem. / Ne znam.
- I'm going to ... / Where are you going to? - Idem do.. / Gde vi idete?
- My name is... / What's your name? / I’m from... / Where are you from? - Ja se zovem../ Kako se ti zovesh? Ja sam iz... / Odakle ste vi?
- I’m ... years old. / How old are you? - Ja imam ... godina./ Koliko godina ti imash?
- I study.... / My subjects are... / I’m in my ... year. / I will become a .... - Studiram.... / Moji predmeti su... / Ja sam u ... godini./ Postacu...
- I have a boy-friend/a girl-friend. / I'm married. - Ja imam decka/devojku / Ja sam ozenjen (male) / udata (female)
- I’m on holiday. / I visit friends in... / I'm hitchhiking around... - Ja sam na odmoru. / Poseticu prijatelje iz... / Stopiram..
- I will stay for... / I’m going back... - Ostajem ... (number) dana (days) / Vracam se ...
- Don’t touch me! / Let me out! / Stop! / Help! - Ne diraj me! / Pusti me napolje! / Stop! / U pomoc!
- Can you drop me off here? - Mozete li me ostaviti ovde?
- Thank you! / Have a nice day/trip! - Hvala (puno)! / Srecan put!
- Where can I find ...? - Gde mogu naci...?
- - the city centre / a map - centar grada / mapu
- - a toilet / a supermarket / a pharmacy / a campsite - toalet / supermarket / apoteku / kamp
- - an internetcafe / a cashmachine / a bank / exchange office - internet kafe / bankomat / banku / menjachnicu
- - a metrostation / a busstation / a trainstation - metro / autobusku stanicu / zeleznicku stanicu
- - the highway to ... / a good hitchhikingspot - autoput do... / dobro mesto za stopiranje
- water / (herbal) tea / hot chocolate / coffee - voda / (biljni) chaj / toplu cokoladu / kafu
- beer / (red, white) wine / juice - pivo / (crveno, belo) vino / sok
- vegetarian / diner / bread / a cheap restaurant - vegeterijansku / veceru / hleb / jeftin restoran
- Cheers! / Enjoy your meal! - Ziveli! / Prijatno!
- I’m hungry / thirsty / fine / cold / hot / sick - Gladan sam / zedan sam / dobro sam / hladno (mi je)/ vruce (mi je) / bolestan sam
- north / east / south / west - sever / istok / jug / zapad
- yesterday / today / tomorrow - juče / danas / sutra
- zero / one / two / three / four / five / six / seven / eight / nine / ten - nula / jedan / dva / tri / cetiri / pet / sest / sedam / osam / devet / deset
- eleven / twelve / thirteen / fourteen / fifteen / sixteen / seventeen / eighteen / nineteen / twenty - jedanaest / dvanaest / trinaest / cetrnaest / petnaest / sesnaest / sedamnaest / osamnaest / devetnaest / dvadeset
- twenty-one / thirty - dvadeset-jedan / trideset
- hour / day / week / month / kilometre - sat / dan / sedmica / mesec / kilometar
- left / right / straight on / before/ after - levo / desno / pravo / pre / posle
- this / next / last - ovo / sledece / poslednje
- often / seldom / never / long / short - cesto / retko / nikad / dugo / kratko
- up / down / over / under - gore / dole / iznad / ispod
- How far is it (on foot)? / Where are we? - Koliko je daleko (peshke)? / Gde smo?
- How much does it cost? / What time is it? - Koliko kosta? / Koliko je sati?
- We are looking for a place to sleep. - Trazimo mesto da prespavamo.
- Where can we buy a ticket? - Gde mozemo da kupimo kartu?
- Who? / What? / Where? / Why? / When? - ko? / šta? / gde? / zašto / kada?
- How? / How much? / How long? / Which? - Kako? / Koliko? / Koliko dugo? / Koji?
Albania • Andorra • Austria • Belarus • Belgium • Bosnia and Herzegovina • Bulgaria • Croatia • Cyprus • Czech Republic • Denmark • Estonia • Finland • France • Germany • Greece • Hungary • Iceland • Ireland • Italy • Kosovo • Latvia • Liechtenstein • Lithuania • Luxembourg • Macedonia • Malta • Moldova • Monaco • Montenegro • Netherlands • Norway • Poland • Portugal • Romania • Russia • San Marino • Serbia • Slovakia • Slovenia • Spain • Sweden • Switzerland • Turkey • United Kingdom • Ukraine • Vatican