Earth > Europe > Southern Europe > Balkans > Greece
|Currency:||Euro (€) (EUR)|
Error creating thumbnail: Unable to save thumbnail to destination(average) to
Error creating thumbnail: Unable to save thumbnail to destination(good)
|Meet fellow hitchhikers on Trustroots|
|<map lat='39.791654835253425' lng='21.46728515625' zoom='6' view='0' float='right' />|
Contrary to belief, Greek drivers will rarely if ever ask for money. Because there are few motorways in Greece, the national roads become great havens of locals and long distance drivers pouring in from the south east to west and vice versa, up into the north. Greece can be a little slow because many Greeks tend to seemingly be afraid of Albanians. (???) It's best not to ask too much about it as something close to racism and prejudice comes out.
It is very hard to hitchhike using mainly petrol stations - it can cause long waiting hours since they are a little off the motorway and quite small for Western criteria. Besides, you can barely find any in the northern parts of Greece. The best way to get lifts is to hitch right on the road (if it is not a motorway). It is not recommended to thumb on the motorways, although some hitchhikers do that anyway since the cars are going to stop most definitely, and the police can be liberal about that; however, it is your own risk.
It would be smart not to mention Macedonia either - the Skopje issue might be emotional for many (older) Greeks.
In summer it can get very hot in Greece, so be careful that you won't get burned and carry enough water with you.
The number plates of Greece consist usually of 3 letters (from which the first two letters represent a city) and a number. The plates are valid for the whole life of the vehicle even if its owner moves to an other town, so you can not be absolutely sure about where the vehicle is from.
Is absolutely forbidden in Greece, if you get catched you will have to pay a high fine and maybe you can be judged for up to three months in jail. But most of locals don't know about that rule, most probably, nothing will happen. But don't risk something and better camp only if it is already dark and be away in the early morning. Under no circumstances light a campfire somewhere in the countryside.
Hundreds of trucks go daily from the port town of Igoumenitsa, in the north-west of Greece (coming with ferry from Italy), Istanbul and other turkish destinations. 99% of these trucks will be driven by turks (...) but the remaining 1% can be of any european nationality.
- 14 hours of autostop – the hitchhiking adventures of Georgi Kalendarov and Diljan Vulev, of Bulgaria, in Greece
Albania • Andorra • Austria • Belarus • Belgium • Bosnia and Herzegovina • Bulgaria • Croatia • Cyprus • Czech Republic • Denmark • Estonia • Finland • France • Germany • Greece • Hungary • Iceland • Ireland • Italy • Kosovo • Latvia • Liechtenstein • Lithuania • Luxembourg • Macedonia • Malta • Moldova • Monaco • Montenegro • Netherlands • Norway • Poland • Portugal • Romania • Russia • San Marino • Serbia • Slovakia • Slovenia • Spain • Sweden • Switzerland • Turkey • United Kingdom • Ukraine • Vatican