Hitchwiki:How we want to keep Hitchwiki
Hitchwiki - we love participation
( Why this wiki - How we want to keep this wiki - Why we work on this wiki - How to participate - Hitchwiki needs you - Add a new page )
Here's a bunch of ideas about how we want to keep Hitchwiki. You can add yourself to the list of people who want to keep Hitchwiki like this below.
Guidelines / Ideas / Concepts we like here
Rule #1: we try to avoid setting up rules
Spirit of cooperation
- Most action just happens - someone has an idea, goes ahead and does it.
- In case there's doubt if all hitchhikers would be happy with an action: we want a do-ocratic work environment, where we first try to decide by consensus.
- We encourage active member participation and try to keep convivial work environments
- Try to stay friendly, e.g. not "your stuff sucks so I deleted it", but "maybe you could try to do it like this or that the next time?".
- As much communication and information as possible is and will be available on the internet. This excludes information such as server passwords, but it goes as far as what software and extensions are running on Hitchwiki, and naturally a history of all edits ever made.
- Many decisions are made and discussed in wikipages or the mailing list, both are accessible by everyone. It has happened many times though that MrTweek and/or Guaka decided something on their own, but these decisions have thus far never caused any unhappiness with anyone.
- We exclusively use free software. The entire server stack, MediaWiki, any mailing list software, everything is and should be free. Skype for personal communication about the project is everyone's own choice but is discouraged - use IRC or Jabber instead. Though we primarily discuss hitchhiking (and not technological or philosophical issues).
- We want to keep database dumps available at all times.
- Content is licensed under the Creative Commons ShareAlike Attribution license.
- Given enough interest, people should be allowed to set up their own language version. So far we have versions in many languages.
Not for profit
- Hitchwiki costs us almost nothing, so we don't need money to run it and it's unlikely we would need money in the future.
- We don't want advertising or affiliate marketing. We would only accept it in case money would be needed and other forms of fund-raising are not succeeding.
- Hitchwiki is officially part of the German Abgefahren e.V. not-for-profit organization with the goal of promoting hitchhiking.
One of the things to keep in mind is the use of brand-names, try to avoid them, so if you find you have to, use McD to refer to that hamburger chain, but don't give them free publicity by using their full name!
- guaka 20:13, 23 March 2010 (UTC)
- Quarim 08:14, 24 March 2010 (UTC)
- MrTweek 08:26, 24 March 2010 (UTC)
- Platschi 15:25, 24 March 2010 (UTC)
- Fabzgy 07:55, 27 March 2010 (UTC)
- Vidimian 08:23, 28 March 2010 (UTC)
- Mikael 18:02, 15 December 2010 (CET)
- Fverhart 16:43, 6 November 2012 (CET)
- abyssin 22:34, 30 November 2012 (CET)
- N0id (talk) 21:32, 3 December 2013 (CET)
- Zenit (talk) 05:01, 4 December 2013 (CET)
- Kundrt (talk) 10:40, 4 December 2013 (CET)
- Keith 03:10, 9 July 2014 (UTC)
- Prinoblog, talk 11:26, 29 September 2015 (CEST)
- Drumroots 19:02, 10 June 2016 (UTC)
- Agree? add yourself! Don't agree? Tell us why!