Earth > Europe > Western Europe > Belgium > Vlaanderen > West-Vlaanderen > Oostende > Prino
"Prino" is a 57-year old hitchhiking grandfather of four, born in the Netherlands.
His recorded hitchhiking career started on 16 June 1980 at 7:47 and he has hitched 597,732.7 km in the following 33 countries:
Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, France, Austria, Yugoslavia, Greece, Bulgaria, Turkey, Belgium, United Kingdom, Italy, Luxembourg, Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Liechtenstein, Switzerland, Ireland, Japan, San Marino, Portugal, Spain, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Croatia, Slovenia and Andorra.
He's fluent in Dutch and English, more than capable of speaking German and knows enough French to survive when dropped in the middle of nowhere in France.
Some personal hitchhike records/statistics
- Career distance: 597,732.7 km
- Best 24 hour: 2,318.4 km, from Southern Yugoslavia (1989-07-05T00:00) to just before Raststätte Hamburg-Stillhorn (Germany) (1989-07-05T24:00). This record can be found on page 179 of the 1991 UK edition of the Guinness Book of Records.
- Best calendar month: 9,936.4 km, July 1990 - 17 hitchhiking days, the De Bilt to Athina part of trip 11.
- Longest ride: 2,502.9 km, from Platamon (Greece) (1990-08-13T16:32) to Driebergen (Netherlands) (1990-08-15T12:54), also in trip 11.
- Best Vilniaus Autostopo Klubas traveler (distance-wise) for the club years of 2001/2 and 2007/8.
- He is the executive producer of "North", a short movie by Sarah Franke.
- He is the author of a set of programs to extract various statistics from notes made while hitchhiking, a short description of them can be found on Prino's Programs.
On the web
On Live on the road's Videos on Vimeo
Prino by Sarah Franke
On the website of the Vilniaus Autostopo Klubas
In his daily life he is an analyst programmer with nearly 34 years of experience in PL/I and somewhat less in DB2, CICS, REXX and IDMS. He is the author and maintainer of a set of REXX execs that can be used to convert legacy languages into HTML. He is also, since February 2003, the maintainer of the mini-FAQ for the comp.lang.pascal.borland Usenet newsgroup.
He is currently "between contracts". A CV is available on request.
The origins of "prino"?
The name "prino" was "given" to him in 1974 by his chemistry teacher, Eelco Hessling. When going through the names in his teachers notebook, he could not read his own handwriting. The name was taken over by a few of his classmates and has stuck ever since.
- email: hitchhiker (a) prino (d) org
- Skype: prinox
- Hospitality Club: prino
|This user gives permission to use his/her contributions under the Creative Commons|
Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International Licence