The Dutch highway A1 (Dutch: Rijksweg) begins in the east of Amsterdam at the junction Watergraafsmeer and ends into the German highway A30 in the east of the country.
The A1 is also known as the E231, between Amsterdam and Amersfoort (east of the junction with the A28/E232) and as the E30 westward until and into Germany (which is crosses entirely).
Along the way it passes the cities of Amersfoort, Apeldoorn, Deventer, Hengelo, Oldenzaal and Enschede.
|<map lat='52.217' lng='6.02' zoom='9' view='0' width='800' height='200'/>
Hitching the A1
Legend: - Very good | - Good | - Average | - Bad | - Senseless
- (1) Diemen-Noord
- (2) Diemen
- Knooppunt Diemen
- Chance to get on to the highway A9.
- (3) Muiden If you want to go eastwards, walk up this ramp until you find a delivery road. Walk along this for some meters until you reach the service station Honswijck!
- Honswijck / Hackelaar (very good)
- Good service station (on both sides) to get lifts towards Amsterdam or on the other side towards all of the Netherlands. Check Muiden-page for how to get there.
- (4) Muiderslot (good)
- Ramp towards Amsterdam, directly connected with the service station Hackelaar. If you want to go towards Amsterdam, it's your spot!
- Knooppunt Muiderberg
- Chance to get on to the highway A6.
- (5) Naarden-West
Ramp in Oldenzaal
-Zuid, on the last meters of the A1
- (6) Naarden-Vesting
- (7) Bussum
- (8) Blaricum
- (9) Laren
- Knooppunt Eemnes
- Chance to get on to the highway A27.
- (10) Soest
- (11) Eembrugge
- (12) Bunschoten
- Neerduist (good)
- (13) Amersfoort-Noord
- Knooppunt Hoevelaken
- Chance to get on the highway A28.
- (14) Hoevelaken
- (15) Barneveld
- Also junction towards the Dutch A30.
- (16) Voorthuizen
- Tolnegen (good)
- (17) Stroe
- (18) Kootwijk
- Lucasgat / De Hucht (average)
- On both sides. Not that much traffic, but doable.
- (19) Hoenderloo
- (20) Apeldoorn-Zuid
- Knooppunt Beekbergen
- Chance to get on to the highway A50.
- (21) Voorst
- De Paal / Vundelaar (good)
- (22) Twello
- (23) Deventer (good)
- (24) Deventer-Oost
- (25) Bathmen
- (26) Lochem
- Bolder / Struik (very good)
- Service station's on both sides with many cars.It's easy here to get lifts towards Germany or the other direction towards Utrecht or Amsterdam.
- (27) Markelo
- (28) Rijssen
- Knooppunt Azelo
- Chance to get on the highway A35 towards Almelo.
- (29) Borne-West
- Knooppunt Buren
- (30) Hengelo
- (31) Hengelo-Noord (good)
- Quite good spot for hitchhiking westwards, traffic lights will slow down cars for you. Hitching towards Germany isn't that good, most cars only go further to Oldenzaal, but take your chance if you get a lift to Oldenzaal-Zuid!
- t' Lonnekermeer / Veelsveld (very good)
- To the east Last gas station before Germany and for the next 120km! Best chance for you to get cars towards Germany or even Poland (trucks!).
- (32) Oldenzaal
- (33) Oldenzaal-Zuid (very good)
- The ramp for you if you come from Enschede! Easy to get cars towards Germany, average waiting time 7 minutes! In the other direction also a busy ramp for traffic towards the whole country.
- (34) De Lutte (senseless)
- Small ramp with a tiny gas station before, but no real traffic exept some trucks. Don't try it here, better walk the 1km towards the border along the highway! (But await for cops who ask you stupid questions)
- Border Netherlands - Germany, the highway is going over to the German A30. Take a look there for further information about this way.
- --> A30 (Germany)