This article can be used to collect ideas on what to put into the zine. Feel free to edit the article and add your ideas for the zine!
Specific countries in the zine
Hey, would it be an idea to choose an x-amount of countries to present and focus on in each issue? Am thinking of focusing on 2-3 nations, maybe located on different continents. I can offer to collect my information and knowledge e.g. for Syria or Bulgaria. platschisite, wikitalk 11:31, 18 August 2008 (CEST)
- Perfect idea. I am not sure how many featured countries/ cities we can cover but three seems to be a pretty good challenge to work towards, just fire off Syria for example and then we can see in what format we want to put it in. --Robino 12:06, 18 August 2008 (CEST)
City-Survival / Featured skills
Other ideas: city-survival (how to do this or that), featured skills (what skill do you use while traveling and making money?), etc. --Robino 12:06, 18 August 2008 (CEST)
What kind of style is the Mag supposed to be?
Should we try to follow the "more serious path" or - what i prefer - even write more about amusing content, don't take hitchhiking in general too serious and write in an ironical/diverting style?
IMHO the biggest part (or reason why) of hitchhiking is fun and the unforeseen, so I would like to read an amusing magazine with content i do not expect. or is it just up to everybody who participates and there is going to be a colorful mix of styles and opinions?
Maybe one example how i could imagine such a magazine could be interesting permanently: in Germany there is a magazine called "11freunde" writing about football themes all over Europe. but not like normal newspapers, they offer background stories from different players and teams, fans and supporters from the now and the past, about fan-clubs and the whole football sub-culture. BUT they never ever published a story concerning tactics, game analysis or graded players after games.
It's a mag about football, but far far away from the playing field - would something comparable be interesting for a hitchhikers mag?a mag about and for hitchhikers, which takes place far away from the road? (because actually there is not much to describe about hitchhiking than sticking your thumb out or hold a sign, it's as easy as playing football ;) ) far more interesting are the thousands of side effects you experience while hitchhiking and i wouldn't mind reading some recipes from Italian truck drivers or Music-Tips by a Spanish sextoy-seller for example..
- Hey Wukk, great ideas! I agree with what you say about the style, that it shouldn't be (too) serious. Irony and humor is essential. The main thing of the magazine would be in my opinion everything related to hitchhiking, which can include a lot of different things. Though some stuff about the act of hitchhiking itself is needed - I would say. And also sharing of tips& tricks and tactics. And to inspire others. So, a blend of different things is maybe key. I would call it the main theme of the magazine to cover everything related to hitchhiking, all what happens around it. In the end though the thing will be made by the ones who contribute and the ideas that we all spread. So let's see where this goes...! Do you have specific things you would like to cover already for Issue 0? --Robino 01:16, 19 September 2008 (CEST)
Recurrent stuff and other topics
- My vision on hitchhiking (i.e. your story of why you are hitchhiking): Why I Hitchhike
- My first time hitchhiking - a story from you and your first time hitchhiking (could be your own personal story or done through interview, or cartoon, or drawing).
- A story on a hitchhikers club
- History + culture of hitchhiking in one specific country (Poland or Ukraine for issue 0?)
- One driver's story (or interview with driver picking up hitchhikers)
- A column from some hitchhikers.
- A Q&A Where people can ask questions - A place for any question you always wanted to ask a hitchhiker. Answers could be edited by multiple people, or people could give their personal answer.
- Random Roads/Postcards - A post-card is a short message that you would send or already have send someone. Think of your driver, your hitchhiker, a friend, family, your host, someone you met on the road, etc.
- find hitchhikers from the 60s and 70s who have interesting stories to tell, so it could become a nice story from another decade with photos, maps, etc...for example a trip to India in the 70s..
- photo-fiesta, collect and publish the most amazing hitchhiking-photos from all over the world.
- collecting music and movie tips to create something like the "Hitchikers Music Top 10", maybe with some comments etc, all that stuff could be presented in last.fm, would be interesting to have a collection of music from all over the world
- recipes you receive from drivers
- a page of people picking up hitchhikers in a simple way like "John, 34, dentist, England / Maria, 62, nurse, Italy / ... just to show how different the people are that pick us up
- describe the different stereotype hitchhikers (we love the same thing,but we're all totally different :) )
- add more ideas, hit edit.
The idea is to give each issue a separate theme. Themes for the first issue would be 'the modern nomad', Syria and another country. Robino started collecting stories from and interviews with people that have been/ are living a nomad life and who can help to inspire others, or who have tips and tricks, etc. Platschi is working on the Syria feature.
There is no limit to your creativity, if you want to submit drawings related to this, cartoons or photos, for example, that would be great.
Other things for Issue 0
- Hitchhiking in the Ukraine (especially since it seems likely that the Ukraine will be place we will be having 789.
- Stuff that is already on this wiki.
- Reports on 888
- Maybe middle page could be a map of Europe (very simple) with hitchhiking spots? At the other side of this page info about crucial spots for leaving big cities. So everyone can take this page out and carry around.
Check the first lay-out proposal: Issue 0
Proposed theme: Hitchhiking & Safety
- female hitchhiking
- when hitchhiking is not dangerous (how to behave - tips from psychologist?)