Illinois is a state in the Midwestern United States, bordered by Wisconsin to the north, Lake Michigan (one of the Great Lakes) to the northeast, Indiana to the east, the westernmost portion of Kentucky to the south, and Iowa and Missouri to the west.
By far the largest and most interesting city in Illinois is Chicago, located on the shore of Lake Michigan in the northeast corner of the state. With a population of over 9,500,000 (metropolitan area), it is the third-largest city in the United States. Make use of the truck stop areas and on ramps. Hitching on the intestate in Illinois ESPECIALLY on turnpikes is illegal. Look also for US routes, the police left me alone when I hitched in a US route in Rockford, Illinois and I got a ride all the way to Saint Louis!
(625 ILCS 5/11-1006) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 11-1006) Sec. 11-1006. Pedestrians soliciting rides or business.
No person shall stand in a roadway for the purpose of soliciting a ride from the driver of any vehicle.
As with most states, this means by strict definition that if you are off the traveled portion of the road (ie. on the shoulder or grass) you are not committing a crime by hitchhiking.
- Assumption, renown across the county for bad temperament - at least hitchhiker Ephilei had several bad experiences there.
- Aurora, second-largest city in the state and accessible from Chicago via the Metra BNSF railway
- Bloomington, location of Illinois State University
- Carbondale, location of Southern Illinois University
- Champaign-Urbana, location of the University of Illinois
- East St. Louis, across the Mississippi River from St. Louis, Missouri
- Springfield, the state capitol
Alabama • Alaska • Arizona • Arkansas • California • Colorado • Connecticut • Delaware • Florida • Georgia • Hawaii • Idaho • Illinois • Indiana • Iowa • Kansas • Kentucky • Louisiana • Maine • Maryland • Massachusetts • Michigan • Minnesota • Mississippi • Missouri • Montana • Nebraska • Nevada • New Hampshire • New Jersey • New Mexico • New York • North Carolina • North Dakota • Ohio • Oklahoma • Oregon • Pennsylvania • Rhode Island • South Carolina • South Dakota • Tennessee • Texas • Utah • Vermont • Virginia • Washington • West Virginia • Wisconsin • Wyoming