The 888 Project seeks to ask all Europeans to hitchhike from all corners of the European continent (whether it is from Belfast, Istanbul, Helsinki or Lisbon) to arrive at the Eiffel Tower - this world-renowned French lighthouse - in Paris on 888, August 8th, 2008.
- We need you to take part and organize this official European Hitchhiking Event to Paris from every single country in Europe.
- We need you to succeed and get hitchhiking recognized as a genuine means of transportation.
- We need you to convince people to hitchhike and pick up hitchhikers.
Hitchhike to Paris on 888, August 8th, 2008...08/08/2008...888
- 1 The Program
- 2 The checkpoint cities
- 2.1 Start on 388...August 3rd, 2008...Ring 1 (2500 to 3000Ks away)
- 2.2 Start on 488...August 4th, 2008...Ring 2 (2000 to 2500Ks away)
- 2.3 Start on 588...August 5th, 2008...Ring 3 (1500 to 2000Ks away)
- 2.4 Start on 688...August 6th, 2008...Ring 4 (1000 to 1500Ks away)
- 2.5 Start on 788...August 7th, 2008...Ring 5 (500 to 1000Ks away)
- 2.6 Start on 888...August 8th, 2008...Ring 6 (less than 500Ks away)
- 2.7 Long-Distance Hitchhiking: Starting from more than 3000ks away
- 3 The Documentary Project
- 4 Help from Paris on 888
- 5 How to hitchhike out of Paris?
- 6 Register Now
- 7 Contact Us Now
- The Organizers
Once the European hitchhikers will have arrived, the three organizers -- Pascal Dumont, Fabrice Renucci and Guillaume Mouton -- will address the hitchhikers.
This address will be followed by the speech of Ludovic Hubler (a Frenchman who has just come back from a five-year hitchhiking journey around the world. During his trip, Ludovic organized conferences in more than 200 schools, met a large number of NGOs and organized some international events to create a network between them.
- The Sustainable Side of the Project
The three organizers are also part of a French association called Nature Propre. The association aims at promoting sustainable development through a certain number of programs and the 888 project is one of the key projects of Nature Propre. Guillaume Mouton and Thomas Chretiennot will deliver a speech about the substainable side attached to the project.
The checkpoint cities
The goal of the checkpoint cities is to help hitchhikers through their journey through evening meetings and having volunteers on the spot every at dawn. The goal of having several rings is to ensure that we help hitchhikers to progressively get to Paris in all safety.
- The Morning Volunteers
There will be volunteers helping hitchhikers leave any given city on any given ring on the actual hitchhiking spot at dawn. The volunteers will provide hitchhikers with tips and advice.
- The Evening Meetings
Every evening, in any given city, there will be an evening meeting. People who do not have any accomodation and find a place to stay. Hitchhikers can exchange good stories and share tips and advice.
Please write down your name next to your city and mention whether you would like to be a morning volunteer or a meeting organizer:
- If you are a morning volunteer you can then edit the meeting information regarding the actual spot hitchhikers will have to leave from and how to get there.
- If you are a evening organizer, you can then edit the meeting details once you click on your city]]
Start on 388...August 3rd, 2008...Ring 1 (2500 to 3000Ks away)
- 888 PROJECT St. Petersburg (3000km)
- 888 PROJECT Athens (2955km)
- 888 PROJECT Moscow (2847km)
- 888 PROJECT Odessa (2763km)
- 888 PROJECT Istanbul (2700km)
- 888 PROJECT Tirana (2585km)
Start on 488...August 4th, 2008...Ring 2 (2000 to 2500Ks away)
- 888 PROJECT Tallinn (2565km)
- 888 PROJECT Chisinau (2512km)
- 888 PROJECT Kalamaria (2497km)
- 888 PROJECT Kiev (2438km)
- 888 PROJECT Helsinki (2341km)
- 888 PROJECT Tampere (2334km)
- 888 PROJECT Bucharest (2304km)
- 888 PROJECT Skopje (2286km)
- 888 PROJECT Riga (2256km)
- 888 PROJECT Sofia (2242km)
- 888 PROJECT Sarajevo (2241km)
- 888 PROJECT Pristina (2205km)
- 888 PROJECT Minsk (2205km)
- 888 PROJECT Belgrade (2163km)
Start on 588...August 5th, 2008...Ring 3 (1500 to 2000Ks away)
- 888 PROJECT Vilnius (2062km)
- 888 PROJECT Lviv (1891km)
- 888 PROJECT Stockholm (1860km)
- 888 PROJECT Timisoara (1814km)
- 888 PROJECT Oslo (1809km)
- 888 PROJECT Lisbon (1739km)
- 888 PROJECT Sevilla (1729km)
- 888 PROJECT Napoli (1635km)
- 888 PROJECT Warsaw (1600km)
- 888 PROJECT Dublin (872km + 2 BOATS)
- 888 PROJECT Belfast (1111km + 2 BOATS)
- 888 PROJECT Edinburg (1051km + 1 BOAT)
- 888 PROJECT Glasgow (1054km + 1BOAT)
Start on 688...August 6th, 2008...Ring 4 (1000 to 1500Ks away)
- 888 PROJECTPorto (1577km)
- 888 PROJECT Krakow (1536km)
- 888 PROJECT Gdansk (1525km)
- 888 PROJECT Göteborg (1515km)
- 888 PROJECT Budapest (1484km)
- 888 PROJECT Rome (1437km)
- 888 PROJECT Zagreb (1396km)
- 888 PROJECT Bratislava (1311km)
- 888 PROJECT Madrid (1262km)
- 888 PROJECT Ljubljana (1253km)
- 888 PROJECT Wien (1237km)
- 888 PROJECT Copenhagen (1212km)
- 888 PROJECT Liverpool (791km +1 boat)
Start on 788...August 7th, 2008...Ring 5 (500 to 1000Ks away)
- 888 PROJECT Berlin (1053km)
- 888 PROJECT Prague (1046km)
- 888 PROJECT Barcelona (1038km)
- 888 PROJECT Dresden (1025km)
- 888 PROJECT Salzburg (987km)
- 888 PROJECT Hamburg (890km)
- 888 PROJECT Milano (851km)
- 888 PROJECT Munich (841km)
- 888 PROJECT Toulouse (763km)
- 888 PROJECT Marseille (776km)
- 888 PROJECT Stuttgart (624km)
- 888 PROJECT London (421km + 1 boat)
Start on 888...August 8th, 2008...Ring 6 (less than 500Ks away)
- 888 PROJECT Zürich (590km)
- 888 PROJECT Bordeaux (585km)
- 888 PROJECT Geneve (540km)
- 888 PROJECT Amsterdam (503km)
- 888 PROJECT Köln (490km)
- 888 PROJECT Utrecht (471km)
- 888 PROJECT Lyon (465km)
- 888 PROJECT Rotterdam (449km)
- 888 PROJECT Liege (374km)
- 888 PROJECT Luxemburg (366km)
- 888 PROJECT Rennes (366km)
- 888 PROJECT Brussels (312km)
- 888 PROJECT Lille (226km)
Long-Distance Hitchhiking: Starting from more than 3000ks away
You can of course start your European hitchhiking event from further away than the 6th RING.
You are free to start from wherever you want.
The Documentary Project
The 888 project community has decided to get together and unite to make a documentary about hitchhiking. The organizing team is currently looking for 4 different cameramen who would be interested in joining 4 different hitchhikers across their journey. Sebastian Cort, an experienced boat hitchhiker and also cameraman has recently agreed on following Pascal Dumont from Teheran, Iran to Paris, France. We now need three other cameramen.
We are also inviting all the people wishing to meet up with hitchhikers from all over the world on August 8th, to participate in this documentary project through any way they would feel like: You can either:
- Keep a journal
- Take photos
- Record with an audio recorder
The film project will be a sort of patchwork using all the material that the hitchhikers will bring with them on August 8th.
Help from Paris on 888
We need to contact the Paris community in order to host all the Europeans who are coming to Paris on 888
Please register on the I Need A Place To Stay Sign Up Page if you are looking for a place to stay
Please register on the I Can Host Hitchhikers Sign Up Page if you live in Paris and you are willing to host people.
This subgroup was designed to find 2 teams who can work on D-Day- 888- to answer hitchhikers' phonecalls. What these two teams will need to do to help the 8 8 8 project:
- Have a landline phone number -Be at home on the 8.8.8 throughout the whole day and evening
- Know the hitchhiking spots on a circumference of 200 ks around Paris
- Know the Paris transportation system so that the hitchhikers who are lost can easily reach the Palais de Tokyo
- Have a list of people who can host (they do not necessarily need to be on C.S. on H.C.
- we will establish this list and send it to the two teams)
Please register on the
I Want To Volunteer For The Call Center Team 2 Sign Up Page if you would like to volunteer in one of our teams.
How to hitchhike out of Paris?
Check the page about Paris to find spots to leave the city.
http://membres.lycos.fr/bpierret/autostop/wiki/wakka.php?wiki=EnglishVersion http://www.routard.com/guide_voyage_page/26/emplacements_strategiques.htm http://home.wanadoo.nl/agghanebbah/navigator/france/paris/paris000.htm http://www.hitchbase.com/ergebnisse.php?LANG=ger&abfrage%5Bstartort%5D=169 http://bernd.wechner.info/Hitchhiking/HHGTE.html http://www.bugeurope.com/paris/gta.html
You can register on the Sign Up Page to take part in the Hitchhiking Event.
Contact Us Now
Please feel free to contact us if you wish to bring your help to the project:
Fabrice Renucci- fabrice.renucci [at] hotmail.fr
Pascal Dumont - dumont_376 [at] hotmail.com
- My russian number: +79151002344
(travelling at the moment)