This is an incomplete overview of hitchhiking in media. Please add books you read, and more.
Hitchhiking in literature:
- 'A Hell of a Place to Lose a Cow': An American Hitchhiking Odyssey by Tim Brookes 2001. A hitching journey cross the USA. In English.
- Carsick by John Waters. 2014. A memoir of cross-country hitchhiking journey from Baltimore to San Francisco. In English.
- Hitch-Hiker's Guide to Europe by Ken Welsh: outdated but contains great information for Europe, North Africa, the Middle East and the "Communist countries." Was the inspiration for the title of Douglas Adams' Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy. In English.
- No Such Thing as a Free Ride? A Collection of Hitchers' Tales. Compiled by Simon and Tom Sykes (Great Britain: Cassell Illustrated, 2005). A 192 pg. compilation of hitch-hiking lore and experience, contributed by more than a hundred, from both sides of the experience, mainly British. A great sampling. In English.
- Derelict Days... Sixty years on the Roadside Path to Enlightenment by Irv Thomas. (Bloomington, IN: AuthorHouse, 2004). Personal tales from across a 60-year span of American (and some European) hitch-hiking, in a 226-page text. Mostly written at the time of each adventure, these highlight the consciousness-raising aspect of the experience. Included is a newspaper account of the earliest American hitch-hiker on record (1916). In English.
- The Hitchhiking Grandmother by Grace Small, as told to Ruth Barton Davis (Forest Grove, OR: Pilgrim Way Press, 1990). Quite remarkable life story of a 46-year old woman who took up hitch-hiking in 1941, indulging her adventurous spirit thusly for some 25 years, both in the US and Europe. The 200-page book is cheaply obtainable on bookfinder.com. In English.
- Hitching: tales from the byways and superhighways, by Kirsty Brooks. A collection of stories by hitchhikers, mostly Australians, hitching in Australia, the US, Europe and some random places. Some interesting stories. In English.
- Off the map - A punk rock vision quest told in the tradition of the anarchist travel story, Off the Map is narrated by two young women as they discard their maps, fears, and anything resembling a plan, and set off on the winds of the world. This story is told with genuine hope, and a voice that never loses its connection with the mysteries of life. OTM.
- Norton's Ghost (2010) - A novel rooted heavily in homelessness and hitchhiking. His world thrown into doubt with the death of his father, Kyle Dearmond takes to hitchhiking, where he finds meaning, friends, and a new direction despite the chaos of the wandering road. Website. The book is also available under a Creative Commons by-nc-nd License. Download
- Vagabond in the axis of evil, a book by Juan Pablo Villarino about hitchhiking in Iran, Iraq and Afghanistan.
- Round Ireland with a fridge, a book by the British journalist Tony Hawks telling the story of his hitchhiking trip around Ireland (with a fridge)
- On The Road, Kerouac's classic written in 1951, about his road trips in the US, has been an inspiration to many hitchhikers ever since.
- Travels With A Road Dog: Hitchhiking Along the Roads of the Americas is a memoir describing the experiences of a young woman who gave away her belongings in the 1990's to hitchhike around the United States, Mexico, the Bahamas and Venezuela. Along the way she picks up a dog for a hitchhiking companion. This memoir describes her journey of road life that lasted almost five years.
- The Tao of Hitch-hiking by Marty Segal. With the hitch-hiker's road as the laboratory, The Proof and Technique of Human Energy Transfer, The Quantum Theory of Fleeting Encounters, Non-electronic Information Highways, The Suppressed Significance of Godel's Theorem, Perfect Recall and Creativity, and dozens of Peoples' Wisdoms fuse into a Science Of Living. In English.
- One People One Planet by Andre Brugiroux (Oneworld, 1994) is an account of an 18 year journey of discovery on the road that took the author through 135 countries and over 250,000 miles.
- Hitchhiking Tales from European Roads - My First Light Second by Miran Ipavec (2014) is a collection of tales resulting four decades of hitch-hiking adventures of the author in 38 European countries. Written by the most experienced hitch-hiker from Slovenia, the book is also available in German, Italian and in the original Slovenian version.
- Riding with Strangers by Elijah Wald. The tale of a crosscontinental hitchhiking trip mixed with philosophical reflections about hitchhiking and memories of past trips.
- Bill Bryson - A Walk in the Woods
- Robert Pirsig - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenanc
- Jacob Holdt - American Pictures
- Colin Flaherty - Redwood to Deadwood
- Jon Krakauer - Into the Wild
- Katia Noyes - Crashing America
- Cheryl Strayed - Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail
- Tom Robbins - Even Cowgirls Get the Blues
- Richard Grant - Ghost Riders
- In Russian there are a lot of books about hitchhiking, Praktika Volnyh Puteshestvyi by Anton Krotov being the most famous and according to many essential reading material for hitchhiking in Russia - if you read Russian that is.
- Tôt ou tard. Politique de l’autostop , Hervé Décaudin, Fabien Revard () Quite hilarious indeed.
- Pratique des voyages libres, Anton Krotov, Pontcerq
- Pouceux : 60 récits de bord de route, Collectif, Éditions Cardinal.
- Le monde en stop, Ludovic Hubler, Géorama.
- La Bible du grand voyageur, Anick-Marie Bouchard, Nans Thomassey & Guillaume Charroin, Lonely Planet. Has 4 chapters out of 40 about hitchhiking (cars, boats, trains and planes)
- La Route et ses chemins, André Brugiroux, Robert Laffont
Carsick by John Waters 2014
Part 1, the best possible. Part 2, the worst possible. Part 3, the truth. It was a good read. I'm not extremely familiar with his work as a director, though have heard stories, and he does reference a lot of pop culture material. So it's a little hitch hiking novelty experience, a little namedropping, and a little fantasy. Beautifully short chapters dividing every ride. A book to be savored, read sparingly and daily. Enjoy! -Reese
Hitch-Hiker's Guide to Europe by Ken Welsh 1977
I think that the book really does some injustice to some countries. Not a source I would want to discuss when traveling to certain areas of Europe. But all the praises to first part of the book instructing all of us how to hitchhike. -Bojan
Some links to hitchhiking in the news media. See Google News for some current news items.
- The Telegraph - The sad demise of the hitch-hiker, 2 July 2014
- Restore the trust among people, 24 July, 2014 (Also in Serbian)
- Na estrada - Rodar o mundo de carona é mais do que uma aventura. É um estilo de vida (Portuguese) 24 June 2014
- Nómadas 2.0 - À boleia pelo mundo (Portuguese) 8 May 2014
- Stranded Warburton hitchhikers get help from Facebook 18 May 2010
- Guardian - Would you stick out your cyber thumb for a lift?, 4 October 2008
- Hitchhiking My Way Around Cuba: Cubans are required to pick up hitchhikers, August 31, 2006
- What killed hitchhiking?, date unknown
- High-tech pioneers go hitchhiking across America, August 27, 2006
- Hitchhiking All 50 States, October 10, 2006
- Pros and cons for paid hitchhiking, no more "paid hitchhiking" in Nanjing
- Student hitches his way around nation to prove it's friendly, September 25, 2006
- Hitchhiking travel in Russia, October 5, 2006.
- William Shaw sets off on a wild, verge-hopping road trip from Land's End to John O'Groats Sunday, 26 August 2007
- Hitchhiking: Myths, Facts and Beyond podcast, June 2014
- A Hitchhiker's Audio Tour Of The United States
- The Abgefahren e.V. Podcast and Audio Collection
Scientific articles and research
|Author||Year||Title||Published in/at||Language||Online available|
|Julian A. Compagni Portis||2015||Thumbs Down: America and the Decline of Hitchhiking||Wesleyan University||EN||yes|
|Mewes, M||2016||Riding With Strangers, An Ethnographic Inquiry into Contemporary Practices of European Hitchhikers||University of Hamburg||EN||yes|
|Jahns, W||2016||Und so weiter und so fort – Eine Ausstellung über das Trampen und die Sehnsucht nach Leben||Hochschule Mannheim||DE||yes|
|Chesters, G, Smith, D||2001||The Neglected Art of Hitch-hiking: Risk, Trust and Sustainability||Sociological Research Online 6/3||EN||yes|
|Clifford, MM, Cleary, P||1971||The Odds in Hitchhiking||University of Iowa/University of Wisconsin||EN||yes|
|Connecticut Legislative Committee||1975||Report of the “Committee To Study The Solicitation Of Rides On Motor Vehicles”||Connecticut||EN||no|
|Crassweller, P et al.||1972||An Experimental Investigation of Hitchhiking||The Journal of Psychology 82, pp. 43-47||EN||yes|
|Dallmeyer, KD et al.||1975||Hitchhiking: a viable addition to a multimodal transportation system?||Center for Urban Transportation Studies, University of Colorado at Denver||EN||no|
|Delannoy, R||2011||Liften en liftgevers. Een exploratief onderzoek naar vertrouwen tussen onbekenden||Universiteit Gent||NL||yes|
|DiMaggio, P||1971||Sociability and the Hitchhiker; unpublished honours thesis||Swarthmore College, Pennsylvania||EN||no|
|Fiedler, J et al.||1989||Anhalterwesen und Anhaltergefahren: unter besonderer Berücksichtigung des “Kurztrampens”||BKA-Forschungsreihe Sonderband, Bundeskriminalamt Wiesbaden||DE||yes|
|Franzoi, S||1985||Personality Characteristics of the Cross Country Hitchhiker||Adolescence 20, pp. 655-668||EN||yes|
|Garner, A||2008||Risk and reward: the (lost?) art of hitchhiking||University of Melbourne||EN||no|
|Garner, A||2008||Time & The Hitcher||University of Melbourne||EN||no|
|Guéguen, N||2007||Bust Size and Hitchhiking: A Field Study||Perceptual and Motor Skills, 105, 1294-1298. (doi: 10.2466/pms.105.4.1294-1298)||EN||yes|
|Guéguen, N||2010||Color and Women Hitchhikers’ Attractiveness: Gentlemen Drivers Prefer Red||Col Res Appl, 37, 76 – 78, 2012; DOI 10.1002/col.20651||EN||yes|
|Grundstad, R||1982||Anti-hitchhiking Laws||Legislative Research, Legislative Administration Committee, Salem, Oregon||EN||no|
|James, BH||1966||Helping and Hitchhiking||Northwestern University||EN||no|
|Johnson, RW, Johnson, JH||1978||A Cross-Validation Of The SN Scale On The Psychological Screening Inventory With Female Hitchhikers||University of Wisconsin/University of Utah||EN||no|
|Kath, C||2014||Das Trampen - eine soziale Praxis zwischen Individualtourismus und Lebensstil||Augsburg University||DE||yes|
|Keck-Szabel, M.||2011||A cheap imitation, or tourist innovation? Polish tourism during state socialism through eastern and western eyes||University of California||EN||yes|
|Mahood, L.||2014||Hitchin’ a Ride in the 1970s: Canadian Youth Culture and the Romance with Mobility||Histoire sociale / Social History, University of Ottowa||EN||yes|
|Morgan, CJ et al.||1975||Hitchhiking: Social signals at a distance||Bulletin of the Psychonomic Society, University of Washington, Seattle||EN||no|
|Mukerji, C||1978||Bullshitting: Road Lore among Hitchhikers||University of California||EN||yes|
|Müller, A||2013||Trampen als soziale Praxis. Zwischen Individualtourismus und Konsumkritik||Universität Wien||DE||yes|
|O'Regan, M||2012||Alternative Mobility Cultures and the Resurgence of Hitchhiking||In: Fullagar, S et al., 2012; "Slow tourism: experiences and mobilities", pp. 128-142||EN||yes|
|O'Regan, M||2013||Independent Travel: Creative Tactics in the Margins||e-Review of Tourism Research (eRTR), Vol. 10, No. 5/6||EN||yes|
|Packer, J.||2008||Hitching the highway to hell: Media Hysterics and the Politics of Youth Mobility.||In: Packer, J, 2008: Mobility without mayem. Duke University Press||EN||yes|
|Pomazal, RJ, Clore, GL||1973||Helping on the Highway: The Effects of Dependency and Sex||Journal of Applied Social Psychology 3, pp.150-164||EN||yes (paid)|
|Pudinski, W||1974||California Crimes and Accidents Associated with Hitch-hiking||California Highway Patrol, Operational Analysis Section||EN||yes|
|Purkis, J||2012||The Hitchhiker as Theorist: Rethinking Sociology and Anthropology from an Anarchist Perspective||In: Kinna, R, 2012; "The continuum companion to anarchism", New York||EN||yes|
|Rinvolucri, M||1974||Hitch-hiking, or here on hitchwiki||self published, London||EN||yes|
|Schlebecker, JT||1958||An Informal History of Hitchhiking||The Historian 20, pp.305-327||EN||no|
|Schmauks, D||2003||Nonverbal Interaction between Hitchhikers and Drivers / Nonverbale Interaktion zwischen Trampern und Autofahrern||Semiotica 147, 1/4, pp.209-218 / psychosozial 94, pp.119-127||EN / DE||yes|
|Snyder, M et al.||1974||Staring and Compliance: A Field Experiment on Hitchhiking||Journal of Applied Social Psychology, University of Minnesota||EN||no|
|Tobin, N, Sexton, S||1972||Attitudes toward and the effects of physical variables on hitchhiking; unpublished masters thesis||California State University, San Jose||EN||no|
|Trescher, U, König, H||1987||Trampen: bekannt – unbekannt – verkannt. Eine umweltplanerische Untersuchung.||Projektarbeit am Institut für Landesplanung und Raumforschung, Hannover||DE||no|
|Viard, S||1999||Auto-stop. Approche géographique||Université de Paris, Nanterre||FR||yes|
|Wechner, B||2001||A Dearth of Research: Does anyone really know anything about hitch-hiking?||self published online||EN||yes|
|Wechner, B||2003||Experiments in Hitch-hiking: What works best?||self published online||EN||yes|
|Vivienne Plumb||2012||Hitchhiking: the travelling female body||University of Wollongong||EN||yes|
|Timo Riekko||2008||Maantieltä verkkoon: liftaus ja sen uudet muodot 2000-luvulla||University of Jyväskylä||FI||no|
We also have a mailing list for people interested in scientific research on hitchhiking.
- Multimedia for an overview of different material on hitchhiking
- Hitchhiking in movies
- Music about hitchhiking
- Videos about hitchhiking