Crossable rest areas in Belgium
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The following petrol stations and aires de service in allow a hitchhiker to cross over to the other side. This is a complete list for all motorways.
In Belgium service stations are usually opposite, each serving one of both directions. Most often there are service roads or minor roads to and from the service stations, which you can use to walk to a twin service station.
A1 / E19
- Waarloos, between Antwerpen and Brussels. Crossable southbound in 10 minutes, but crossing involves climbing a steep slope and getting through thick bushes.
A2 / E314
A3 / E40
- Heverlee, south of Leuven. Crossable westbound in 20 minutes.
- Bettincourt, north of Waremme. Crossable westbound in 30 minutes.
- Aire de Tignée / Aire de Barchon, between Liège and the German border. Pedestrian bridge.
- Aire de Lichtenbusch, at the German border. Pedestrian bridge.
A4 / E411
- Aire de service Bierges, between Brussels and Wavre. Crossable northwestbound in 30 minutes.
- Aire de service Aische-en-Refail, between Wavre and Namur. Crossable northwestbound in 20 minutes.
- Aire de service Wanlin, between Namur and Neufchâteau. Pedestrian bridge.
A7 / E19+E42
- Aire de service Orival, between Brussels and Nivelles. Pedestrian bridge.
- Aire de service Hauts-Bois, between La Louvière and Mons. Crossable westbound in 20 minutes.
A8 / E429
A10 / E40
- Jabbeke, between Brugge and the Calais - Oostende split. Crossable westbound in 20 minutes.
- Drongen, between Aalter and Gent. Crossable eastbound in 20 minutes - on the westbound side, do not try to be smart and walk out at the side, the bush is nearly impassible. You will have to walk to the entrance and walk past the guard-rail (on the inside, obviously) until you reach the fence. Climbing over it out of the rest area is easy, going in it might be easier to just walk on top of the guard-rail.
- Wetteren, between Gent and Aalst. Crossable eastbound in 10 minutes.
- Groot-Bijgaarden, between Aalst and Brussels. Crossable eastbound in 15-20 minutes.
A13 / E313
- Ranst, between Antwerpen and the split Eindhoven - Hasselt. Crossable eastbound in 15 minutes.
- Tessenderlo, between Antwerpen and Lummen. Crossable northwestbound in 15 minutes.
A14 / E17
- Marke, south of Kortrijk. Crossable northeastbound in 5 minutes.
- Nazareth, between Waregemen and Gent. Crossable northeastbound in 20 minutes; stations are not exactly opposite eachother.
- Kalken, between Gent and Sint Niklaas. Crossable westbound in 20 minutes.
- Kruibeke, between Sint Niklaas and Antwerpen. Crossable southwestbound in 20 minutes.
A15 / E42
- Aire de service Verlaine, between Liège and Fernelmont. Pedestrian bridge.
- Aire de service Spy, between Namur and Charleroi. Crossable eastbound in 20 minutes.
A21 / E34
- Gierle, between Antwerpen and the Dutch border. Pedestrian bridge.