I removed the rideshare site link added to Finland not because it was not "valid", but because it was the only edit that the user had made -- he seems to have signed up solely to promote this site. On many wikis, to avoid rewarding linkspamming, it is customary to revert the addition of external links when they are the poster's first and sole contribution. CRCulver (talk) 14:01, 14 January 2013 (CET)
- Yup yup, understood that. Sometimes it's good to check out the site itself if it has also english version. This time the only edit user had done was good edit. ;-) In future if you find any weird looking language that might be Finnish, ping me too. -Mikael (talk) 14:12, 14 January 2013 (CET)
CSS seems to have gone completely off the rails
Have already posted this to Guaka's and MrTweek's talk pages, but that seems to have gone nowhere, so
Can you please, please, please have a look at what's wrong with the current CSS set-up/processing. The Hitchwiki (default) skin is sort of OK (it still does not create sortable tables, see my summary page when using that skin), but all others seem top have completely gone, selecting any of them will create long completely unformatted pages. Prino (talk) 00:25, 2 August 2013 (CEST)
- Anything else that is not working in the hitchwiki theme? --MrTweek(talk) 13:36, 2 August 2013 (CEST)
- Sorry guys, will be offline after a couple of hours for like a week. I had forgotten about that JS-table sorting issue. Adding stuff to the long todo-list. I guess it wouldn't be too big thingy to make everything more or less work with all themes. Anywawy, I'm off to Hitchgathering! Laters! -Mikael (talk) 13:40, 2 August 2013 (CEST)
- The Special Pages "Recent Changes Cleanup" using the monobook skin is completely and utterly screwed up, the sidebar items are in the table, and logo covers part of the table. Prino (talk) 14:55, 12 August 2013 (CEST)
- Thx, changed it to the right one now. Sunny greets from Lisbon! -Mikael (talk) 21:18, 4 January 2014 (CET)
It has come to my attention that most of the discussion about the 2014 August hitchgathering is being done on Facebook. I don’t think this is fair, as many active hitchhikers have deleted their Facebook accounts (some never had a FB account to begin with). Moving the discussion to Hitchwiki will be ideal for everyone. Which reminds me, what happened to our forums? CRCulver (talk) 18:46, 12 April 2014 (CEST)
- BTW this year has been better this regard so far. Man, I can't much command people to stop discussing somewhere. -Mikael (talk) 22:47, 27 April 2015 (CEST)
It is not clear what the "pad" link in this page means and why it redirects back to the same page. I will be in Turkey in December, I may be interested in the event. CRCulver (talk) 15:21, 26 October 2014 (UTC)
- Hey Great! So let's be in touch later. We should definitely meet. :-) I added correct URL there (been in a hurry all day) and I'll let you know more about the coming hackathon in a few days via mailing lists. - Mikael (talk) 15:25, 26 October 2014 (UTC)
- There will be awfully lot of PHP/MySQL/Mediawiki coding to be done for sure. And planning/writing scripts to migrate the data from maps to wiki format (will be a hell of a mess to work that out!). Yeah, CAPTCHA/spamstuff is urgently needed and it could be very good a few days task to implement. -Mikael (talk) 10:04, 30 October 2014 (UTC)
- It's common enough to have an account so that it becomes useful. Let's hope someone copies useful stuff from there down to the wiki, once that's done the link can be removed. -Mikael (talk) 21:37, 27 April 2015 (CEST)
- Hi! I thought we had a policy not to add blog posts / "I'm doing a trip type stuff" / videos there, but on the other hand I haven't followed that section much for a while and I see it has evolved quite a much into that direction in lack of actual "news". Should we put it back, what do you think? -Mikael (talk) 00:22, 3 October 2015 (CEST)
Nomadwiki eats Hitchwiki
Major spammer attack going on
Cannot even delete some pages!!!!! Like : "TALK $$$ %% @@ ~ 1-800-219-1195 ~ @@ CANON printer TECH support PHONE number ~ 18002191195 ~"
There is another page, where you can find all train connections include stops. It is Czech web for searching connections is Czech-Slovakia (all city transport, buses, trains, planes). But there is trains connection for whole Europe. jizdnirady.idnes.cz/vlaky/spojeni/ But there is no English. (Odkud = from, Kam = to, Datum a cas = date and time - two edit fields, Pouze přímá spojení = without train change during journey, Pouze vlaky bez povinné rezervace = only trains without seat reservation obligatory). This application usually marks most of regional trains like REG, some commuter trains are missing (commuter trains by Stockholm, P train in Helsinki), and it marks all IC, EC or fast trains with seat reservation obligatory. Regional trains are blue there and long journey or fast dance floors are green, night international dance floors are red. Sometimes - one trains is barked like two another trains (R train Helsinki-Tampere, trains between Oslo and Goteborg), and some trains has two symbols (train between Helsinki and St. Peterburg is red INT or Green AE ). Most important for this Czech database is that you can find stops during journey. Unfortunately - you can not find in this Czech application, which stations has waiting room, or when waiting room is closed.
The schedule of trains and their stops is in Finland (or Norway) quite stable, changes are quite rare and trains go with same time. The number of trains and schedule during years should be stable too.
But in Sweden is situation with schedule terrible. It is every day of week another time of week for departures from stops and number of trains are changing too. And it changes during year too. There are many train companies in Sweden and there is lot of differences in marking at idos.cz too.
It is true, that this article is quite huge, about trains in Finland. I tried to make train schedules - description of journey and stops during journey with mall font, for example font size 8, but I do not know how to do. Better solution ever can be the collapse button - the list of trains and stops is packed to one row until you click for unpacking. Or some solution is split to more articles - some articles just like list of stops.
I have list of trains and stops too in text files, it can be like download link ad file too.
I have pre-written article in LibreOffice document. But when I past here, the formatting of text disappear. And formatting of bigger text here is difficult. It takes lot of CPU and sometimes page freeze.
But yes, there should be some way, how to make not to big article. Collapsing the list of trains and their stops. The article about roads and hitchiking in north Lapland is quite big too. It should be more generic. Just about biggest roads (To Inari, Ustjoki E75 and E8 to Kolari, Klippjarvi, Kiruna and Narvik-Tromso-Nordkapp). There are no trains and only bus lines. idos.cz has in database only pretty few buses outside Czech-Slovakia , most of buses are not there.
But it should be here too, the description, how to get to Finland and the waning Death by exam. Finland has super-cold winters and lack of waiting rooms in stations.
AND SPAM FILTER IS TERRIBLE - I tried many times paste comment and I many times solved difficult CAPTCHA, but without success. It maks as spam all edits with .h.t.t.p. chain (internet URL begin), so I have to remove your active link too, because of spam filter.