- Hitchwiki is a collaborative website for gathering information about hitchhiking and other ways of extremely cheap transport.Feel free to share your knowledge with us!
30 April 2015 An Austrian Hitchhiking Community is forming with the Name Ausfahrt Links to increase public awareness of people about hitchhiking as a means of transport in Austria. Find more information on the Website, like them on Facebook. Join conversation about hitchhiking in Austria by asking your Austrian hitchhiking buddies to add you to the chat or if you do not want Facebook contact them via the Website!
24 April 2015 Miran Ipavec has just announced that he has managed to hitch through 31(!) European countries in just under 10 days. More details will follow.
20 April 2015 Youssef Mahou has published a film on YouTube called Le Maroc en auto stop/ Morocco by hitchhiking
26th December 2014 Folks behind Hitchwiki are building a new hospitality exchange community for hitchhikers and other travellers: Trustroots.org — It's time to join it and spread the word!
13th December 2014 Anick-Marie (formerly Perilisk and now Globestoppeuse) made available Hitchhiking, a 2010 How-to zine including an analysis of the different safety advice with their pros and cons, including women-specific advice
25th November 2014 Rules of Thumb: How to Hitch-Hike and Live on the Road, a detailed guidebook on hitch-hiking, has just been released for free, on Kindle, and in Paperback. Aimed at less experienced hitch-hikers about to undertake long-distance journeys.
27th September 2014 The famous Russian hitchhiker Alexey Vorov intends to race around the world in his new project 500 HOURS in order to promote peace and hospitality and to show how small our tiny planet is. Track his progress here
06th August - 28th September 2014 The TravelMakers Project is a journey from Berlin to Istanbul. The project is a combination of hitchhiking throughout Europe, creating street art, volunteering and contributing within urban communities in active social projects, and filming on the way. Learn more about their project and donate to their cause on Travel Makers - Hitchhiking for Social Projects
21 July 2014 The registrations for this years "Tramprennen", a hitchhiking race across Europe from Würzburg (Ger) to Lake Ohrid (Macedonia) are open now on tramprennen.org.
26 May 2014 The registration for the Abgefahren Hitchhiking Championships is now open. Abgefahren e.V. is looking forward to seeing you!
21 March 2014 Lawrence On Board, a new hitchhiking promotion program in Kansas needs your vote on facebook! They have been selected as semifinalists in the TEDxFulbright Social Innovations Challenge! The winner gets the full support of the TED and Fulbright communities. Cast your vote on facebook here!
13 January 2014 There is a new book about hitch-hiking: American Eyeball.
Please note that a substantial number of hitchhikers does not have an account on Facebook, so please also create a page on Hitchwiki for your event!
- 16 - 17 May 2015 - Vilnius Hitch-hiking Club organises yearly Baltic hitching race. autostop.lt and FB event
- 22 - 25 May 2015 - This year's Abgefahren race starts in Cottbus to a yet secret location up to 400km far away.
- 4 - 5 June 2015 – BreakOut Munich: charity event and 36h hitching race in one. Check FB or the homepage.
- 12 - 15 June 2015 - The biggest hitchhiking race of the Nordics, Hitchball 4000, will be organized for the 3rd time by the Finnish hitchhiking association HitchPro. The Facebook event is now online!
- 18 - 19 July 2015 - HungaroHitch - A hitchhiker race starting from Budapest! Check us on Facebook ---> HungaroHitch or www.hungarohitch.com
- 1 July - 31 August 2015 - The Travel House, will be organized for the 4th time, this year in Athens, accommodation for free! The Travel Club is now collecting donations to make this possible! The Facebook event is now online!
- 22 August - 6 September 2015 - This year going to Albania: the 8th Tramprennen for Viva Con Agua drinking water projects. See also facebook or Tramprennen.
- 1 August 2015 - Hitchgathering somewhere in Europe. Location to be announced soonish.