- Hitchwiki is a collaborative website for gathering information about hitchhiking and other ways of extremely cheap ways of transport.Feel free to share your knowledge with us!
13th January 2014 There is a new book about hitch-hiking: American Eyeball.
21st December 2013 Due to the Ice Hockey World Championship in Minsk 2014, entering Belarus visa-free from 25th April to 31st May is possible . A regular visa costs from 60€ to 160$ . The tickes are available from 91.000BYR (~7€).
14th December 2013 Hitchingit.com has gone live as of a few hours ago in the intent of replacing digihitch.com. After a long battle of empty promises and sabotage, it is intended to fill the gap that has existed since digihitch began losing features and users since digihitch's original owner, Salman, passed away in 2010. Digihitch, which is now a forum and skeleton of the original site, is expected to shut down for good in early 2014. Hitchingit is still a work in progress, but all are encouraged to join the forums and begin submitting content.
1st December 2013 A new project in the Netherlands has come to life to promote hitchhiking: www.nederlandlift.nl.
9th November 2013 We're organizing a festive gathering for hitchhikers (and non-hitchhikers) in France next July. Are you European and between 18 and 30 years old? If you want to help organize this you can apply for an EVS scholarship that will feed and lodge you and even comes with pocket money.
23rd September 2013 Started by some of the folks that brought you Trashwiki and Hitchwiki, Nomadwiki is a new wiki with info and tips for nomads (and other travelling folk) about shoestring budget traveling. Here you'll find out about free camping, no 5 star hotels, not for tourists!
30th August 2013 We had some severe technical issues last week. The wiki is back up and running, but some content got lost unfortunately.
8th August 2013 Canada begins distributing thousands of hitchhiking posters in a new harm reduction campaign hoping to reduce the dangers of hitchhiking and track down those who assault hitchhikers. Among the areas the material will be distributed is the infamous Highway of Tears.
1st May 2013 Bence and pite did a classic route hitchhiking. From some amateur videoshots a 2 minute movie has been made about the Moscow-Saint Petersburg trip. Hope it will encourage other hitchhikers to do more and more youtube clips about their rides.
21st March 2013 There's a Wikimedia Commons app for Android. Enable your GPS, make pics of your hitching trips and use these pics here directly on Hitchwiki without a hassle.
28th February 2013 A bill was introduced January 9, 2013 by Senator Leland Christensen called Senate File 29 to eliminate prohibition of solliciting a ride and therefore legalize hitchhiking in the state of Wyoming, USA. It was enacted on 27th February 2013, hitchhiking becoming legal in that state as of July 1, 2013.
20th December 2012 like Hitchwiki in the past, BeWelcome switches to the free and open source OpenStreetMap, underlining "its strong non-profit values - in a time where internet-based peer-to-peer hospitality communities are subject to increasing commercialization by venture capitalists".
- Mar-Apr 2014 - Israeli Hitchgathering. More information to follow. FB event
- 30 April - 4 May 2014 - 7th race of the DTSG in Germany. Duration about three days, Region to be announced early March here. (German)
- 1 May 2014 - The Great Scottish Hitchhike Race. Event on FB.
- 6 June 2014 - An international gathering for people who hitch their way to the football World Cup in Brazil. Event on FB.
- 11-15 July 2014 - Foret Belleville gathering.
- 3 August 2014 - Hitchgathering somewhere around Europe. Place to be announced after winter.
- 9 August 2014 - North American Hitchgathering in California. Bring your bathing suit! Event on FB.