- Hitchwiki is a collaborative website for gathering information about hitchhiking and other ways of extremely cheap ways of transport.
Feel free to share your knowledge with us!
21st March 2013 There's a Wikimedia Commons app for Android. Enable your GPS, make pics of your hitching trips and use these pics here directly on Hitchwiki without a hassle.
28th February 2013 A bill was introduced January 9, 2013 by Senator Leland Christensen called Senate File 29 to eliminate prohibition of solliciting a ride and therefore legalize hitchhiking in the state of Wyoming, USA. It was enacted on 27th February 2013, hitchhiking becoming legal in that state as of July 1, 2013.
20th December 2012 like Hitchwiki in the past, BeWelcome switches to the free and open source OpenStreetMap, underlining "its strong non-profit values - in a time where internet-based peer-to-peer hospitality communities are subject to increasing commercialization by venture capitalists".
12th November 2012 The New York Times is encouraging people to hitchhike: "What if we could remake the original landscape of alienation — the highway — into a place where Americans could once again reach out to help one another, to share space and time with a stranger? We might begin to reconnect, not just with one another, but with the idea of ourselves as one people, moving in the same direction." — discussion about the article on Hacker News.
1 October 2012 Hitchwiki has a new design. We hope you like it!
- 17-20 May 2013 - The German Hitchhiking Competition 2013 from Dresden to an as yet unknown destination 300-500km far away.
- 21-23 June 2013 - 6th competitive autostop race by DTSG in Germany. Hitchhiking mixed with orienteering and exploring of (un)known regions. June race invites beginners and interested folk and hardcore hitchhikers alike. 2-day race, location tba. More info here.
- 5 August 2013 - Hitchgathering somewhere in Europe. Location is to be announced after winter.
- 16-30 August 2013 - Tramprennen'13, choose one of the 6 routes from Germany, Netherlands or Switzerland to Masuria, north-east Poland.
- 27-29 September 2013 - 7th competitive autostop race by DTSG in Germany. Hitchhiking mixed with orienteering and exploring of (un)known regions. Location tba. More info here.