European Hitchgathering August 2019
Hitchgathering is the name of a series of international hitchhiking gatherings held in Europe and Northern America since 2008.
Main Gathering Proposals
Some years ago, a woman called Lisbeth accidentally bought an entire village in western Denmark. She made it into a country town and announced herself the sheriff. She is the only one living there, but various groups of people show up for visits in the village every summer. We are invited! The danish hitchhikers have been visiting a couple of times, I joined too, once, and we had a really good time. The Sheriff herself believes in letting things run on their own and let the country town be as the people that are inhabiting it at the moment. It is a ghost town playground with lots of room for creativity. Improvements of the place in any sense are welcome. Sheriff Lisbeth was a hitchhiker herself and enjoys both road stories and live music. She has one plea, if we are going to have the hitchgathering in country town; that we don't ask her for permission and directions, but figure it out ourselves - it's the wild west! I told her that's how it always is anyways. It would also be nice, if we can help making the place better when we're there. There is a saloon with a bar and a lot of rooms upstairs. We can use the saloon if it rains and the bar is a great place to hang out. It's also a ghost town bar, so it's just the building, we will have to bring our own beer. Otherwise, there's lots of room for tents and we can make fire pits wherever we want. There's drinking water in the saloon. Dumbsterdiving was good the last time I was around, but 10-20 km away, meaning you would have to hitchhike to get there. Sheriff Lisbeth really hopes that if we come, we can hold a big western party one night.
- Drinking water available
- 3 km from the beach
- dumbsterdiving is usually quite good in Denmark
- great sheriff
- possibility to go inside
- lots of stuff to do
- possibility to wear cowboy hats everyday
- Denmark is expensive
- summers are quite often rainy
- it will be windy on the coast
- quite far to an open bar quite far to an open bar and to nearest grocery store
- we're using somebody's resources. We can't just use all their firewood and give them a massive water bill without giving something back.
- Space for 200. Check. Fullmmoon we were 250+
- Spring is 10 min walking, drinkin water
- No dumpster diving, food is cheap because its Albania. Specially fruits and veggies. Easy to reach by hh, complicated by bus (strange timeschedules/ not predetermined) Secluded. On an olive tree forest.
- It belongs to some people, but they said they didnt mind the other 3 times we did the rainbow. Just dont harm the trees and land. Shit-pit paradise.
- Ill be there the entire July, will help with beginning/seedcamp.
- The place is very good as its tried already.
- Coordinates: Dropped pin, Near Vlorë County, https://goo.gl/maps/f48c7ZPxQumSD3Eu8, 15min walking north the beach from Bunec beach
- beautiful spot in the nature, forest (shadow) and directly at the beach
- drinking water source at the beach
- easier to get a visa then Schengen
- food is cheap
- nice weather, warm water
- no dumpster diving
- next bar/wifi about 40min walking; next bigger supermarket about 15-25km
La Borie near St Jean du Gard, France
for about 30 years there has existed a squat called La Borie. Situated in the heart of the Cevennes with lots of forest and a beautiful river and many nice and colourful people coming through all the time. Now the commune (municipality) of St Jean du Gard who legally (pfff) owns the land has apparently finally gotten their shit together to evict the place and to make something else out of it that involves private property and profits and liability and insurance and most essentially of all wearing swimming shorts while dipping into the river... the eviction date is July 9, and not coincidentally at all La Borie invites you and all of your friends and all of their friends etc. for a Semaine du Camping Ecolo Gratuit -- a week of free ecological camping -- beginning from July 9. There will be plenty of music and dumpsterdived food and nice people to dip in the river with and maybe some riot cops with home-made cakes. (If you're worried about police exposure, you can very much still come in support and get out of the way before things heat up too much.) So if you're in the area or if you don't have anything better planned for this week, I very much recommend that you consider dropping by :-)
A new mailing list has been created: https://lists.riseup.net/www/subscribe/hitch
Unfortunately, the old mailinglist is down and it doesn't look like it will come back (http://lists.freeactive.net/listinfo.cgi/hitch-freeactive.net).