This page is a central dump for the organization of the 2016 Hitchgathering.
This is a wiki. You see something that's wrong, edit. You think something is missing, edit.
Location of the place is still undecided. YOU can help to organise it.
Time: Early August.
- 1 Location Proposals
- 1.1 Lille Stensrud area in Oslo, Norway.
- 1.2 Martinska near Šibenik in Croatia
- 1.3 Example location
Lille Stensrud area in Oslo, Norway.
Taken from email transcripts:
The place is close to a squated area where I live (warlo). Unfortunately I dont think I'll be here by then (but who knows!) but I can arrange things while im here and then pass it on.
Im thinking of the area surounding this lake:
About the place: Its a strip of forest that its outside Oslo, 15km south, well connected by bus or bike. bus is 30kr adult and 15kr child (3 euro adult / 1,5 euro child, you can ride with child tickets to get in the bus and if a control comes you just get the fine unless you live in Norway and wanna stay out of trouble). The lake is one of my favorites in Oslo, its a perfect balance between size, warmth and hidden. Mind that there are many other beautiful lakes very close by (short walking distance). I dont think its a land that its owned by someone and if so, its probably one of those big companies that are trying to turn the forest into block buildings in the next years. I have been squatting in the area for some time, the forest is full with cabins (most of them trashed, some in good shape) that can be used trough the whole year to live in. While squatting, never got any problems. Authorities dont roam around the area as the whole Lille Stensrud area is kind of the white trash / freaks area of Oslo. So I dont promise no problems but I wouldn't expect much. Also, if the authorities come, the lake is half in Oslo district and half in Akershus, which is a different jurisdiction. So if we wanna play legal cool we can just "cross the border" and no more problems with Oslo. Also, good to remember that Scandinavian countries have the every-man's land right, which means you can camp everywhere for a maximum of 2 nights, but that is when you have been spotted by the right authorities and what you do is just move camp and that's it. Also, if you treat the place with respect, even in national parks the authorities are cool with people using the areas.
There was someone mentioning on the email list something about needing an expensive ferry to get to Norway. Well, that would make it much faster as you would avoid Sweden, but I made it many times and its totally doable. Also, if you have had enough slow experiences in Sweden and wanna skip it, there is a Swebus Copenhagen-Oslo connection for 25 euros (although we should rename the gathering to Bus-gathering if too many choose that way!)
SeedCamp / Organizers
- Warlo | warlo who has an email in riseup and the following thing is a dot and then net | I have been living in the area
The place is beautiful, big forest all around
Well connected to Oslo
Very good dumpsters close-by (although that needs to be taken carefully as many squats around live from them)
August is blueberry season! and this time looks like its gonna be a record year!
The lake has a floating platform to paddle your way around it, which sounds silly but its the area's number one favorite entertainment.
It don't seem like any permission can be arranged for the area, so the gathering cannot be "secured" (although the area is huge and there are several spots where we can move and still have a great time)
Except for lake water drinkers, water source is accessible on a somewhat long walk (1.8km)
Remember that Scandinavian countries are somewhat rainy! (we have the option of bringing one or two rather large tents for sleeping and community activities)
Bring anti-mosquito gear and ammo!
When we gather there with 50-100 people and the dumpsters are already used by other squads, that might become a problem. Especially because buying food in Norway is so fucking expensive. I mean really....fucking expensive.
Martinska near Šibenik in Croatia
The place used to be a car camp place 30 years ago, then it used to be a venue for a punk festival, but now it's totally empty. It's hitchable. The nearest supermarket is in Jadrija, some 50 minutes on foot, although if you walk halfway to the crossroads, Jadrija people are quite willing to pick you up. Also, ppl from Jadrija are used to seeing campers there, thanks to the punk festival that was organised there some 15 years in a row.
It's swimmable, it used to be the most popular swimming place for people of Šibenik before 1960s. Photos: (In the 1960s they all moved to build small summer houses in aforementioned Jadrija.)
I don't think there is a big chance of you getting kicked out because the place is unused and kinda abandoned.
Local scout tells us (Sat 18 Jun):
- >Looks like you guys would need a permit for the gathering but not 100% sure on that still.
-----> that peace of land in not under any city jurisdiction and since end o war it still goes under government jurisdiction, I know, we had a lot of illegal party's there,so don't worry about permit
SeedCamp / Organizers
- There are some volunteers who could go earlier.
Contacts for help
- Igor accepted to be our local contact person. He will follow the discussion in the HG group. There is also Luca who might help.
- Nina isn't in location but is originally from the region, can help online.
- Rémi has camped there two years ago so knows a bit about the place.
- There is contact with some local people, some hitchhikers. Also there might be a cultural place who can support us a little. ("Azimut is a local bar - also Šibenik's cultural and art space that hosts travel-related talks and festivals and organises gigs.")
- Mediterranean sea, good swimming possibilities. Sunshine.
- Probably not as much mosquitoes and moisture as in Norway, but there will still be some, so bring mosquito repellents.
- Might be possible to squat some abandoned houses nearby.
- Accessibility is good. Hitchable.
- Place seems culturally right and safe to occupy.
- Good contact with the locals
- There is a festival nearby you could join after the HG with friendly invitation by the locals
- Quite a walk to the water place.
- No big fires are allowed. Region too dry. (Small ones might be okay) Igor said: "Fire is a big problem in general on the coast, we have a lot of big field fires every year so people are sensitive when it comes about that, some small fire not a problem under controlled environment" and for cooking "For cooking is much better to organize gas bottle, faster too and for some chill fire I'll check on that we'll make something I know it's not the same without fire"
- availability of dumpsterdiving nearby questionable
- there has also been the rumour/information that the Croatian police is specifically looking for foreigners camping in illegal spots to extort money from them. Can anybody confirm this and possibly give some legal background on what will happen if we should collectively ignore such a fine?
Write an overview here. Include exact location with coordinates (e.g. 42.892231,27.899687).
Include pictures if possible.
SeedCamp / Organizers
Team of people who are ready to travel in this location and take responsibility on the ground before others arrive:
- Name | contact details | special contribution/interests
- List the good sides that speak for arranging the Hitchgathering in this location.
- List the hindrances for organizing the gathering here
- Other people can comment in this section