Hitchgathering is the name of a series of international hitchhiking gatherings held in Europe and Northern America since 2008. For the 10th anniversary the idea of Transeuropean Hitchgathering was created. The three main locations are to be incorporated in a series of hitchgatherings spanning from Western to Eastern Europe, all summer long.
- 1-6 August - Pre-Gathering at the HitchFest, Marco de Canaveses, Portugal (FB event)
- in between Hot springs at Fontpédrouse, Pyrenees, France
- 10-26 August - Hitchgathering at Traumschule in Riebau, Germany (FB event)
- 30-? August - Gathering in Shypit, Ukraine (FB event)
- 1 Other Pre- & Post-Gatherings
- 2 Outside of Europe
- 3 Locations
- 4 Organizing the event
- 5 Other location Proposals
Other Pre- & Post-Gatherings
- 6-8 July - NOG20 Pre-gathering in Hamburg
- 24-29 August - Open Pit Mine Occupation in Western Germany
Outside of Europe
If you're on the other side of the Atlantic, watch out for news regarding a hitchgathering in July or August in the province of Minas Gerais, Brazil that is being organized.
Traumschule in Riebau, Germany (Main camp, 10-26 August)
- Location: Northern Germany, close to Salzwedel, in the village of Riebau at Traumschule [map], hosp-ex profiles on BW, CS
- Ownership/Permission: We are happy to host a gathering with free contributions again: food, knowledge, money, sleeping bags, what people need. [...] This is an open space and if you like, feel invited! [...] Kardan from Riebau
- Food: dumpsters below average on German standards, but more could be found, cake dumpster in Salzwedel, an organic food source from local producers could be organized
- Water: Drinking water is available 50 meters from where we would camp
- Infrastructure: (dry) toilets, solar shower, bikes, workshops, material
- Accessibility: Easy to reach, centrally located, 80-100km away from the highway (A24, A7, A2), ~10km to small city Salzwedel
- Huge wonderful swimming lake about ~20km away (Arendsee)
- Cool things to explore: an abandoned train station building, earthships, and
semi-abandoned military barracks and stuff...
- All summer-long project happening meanwhile: 'anti-civilisatory summer camp' with workshops and exchange of information and skills and visions (program)
- Dogs are expected to be on a leash 24/7 (either physical or mental leash is okay). We are asked not to use electronics on one part of our campground.
- Organizers, supporters available: N0id, YOU?
- Some pictures from the abandoned train station (only a part of the area)
- Most tools are available, but we need to bring some cooking pots. Who can help to provide them?
Shypit, Ukraine (Post gathering, 30-? August)
- Location: Western Ukraine, Zakarpats'ka oblast, near the village Shypit (or Shipot, Шипот in Ukrainian), [map]
- The site has been the location of a well-known hippie-festival for many years
- Ownership/Permission: unclear, the land is said to belong to nobody
- Food: dumpster diving unlikely, but low cost of living / cheap food
- Water: the water from a river nearby is reported to be drinkable
- Accessibility: rather remote, minor mountain roads, far away from bigger cities, ~80km to Mukachevo
- Infrastructure: a big frame to put a tarp over with benches around a fire pit
- Organizers, supporters available: Adam, YOU?
- Discussion on FB
(Bits and pieces of information taken from the mailing list, partly posted on hitchwiki-talk)
- Location: in Marco de Canaveses (Portugal – Porto's district), on the Montedeiras Park (Parque de Merendas de Montedeiras) at edge of the small Montedeiras mountains
- Some folks got together to organize a hitchhiking festival this year in Portugal. For logistical reasons (municipality) dates had to change to 2-6 August - which is about traditional HG dates. Some folks suggested this could be this year´s HitchGathering, which the organizers would find awesome (people could come earlier and stay longer then the announced HF dates). The other nice possibility is to have the HG afterwards, and HF as a kinda pre-gathering, where we´d promote the HG and launch a hitchhiking caravan to get there.
- Concept: Goals and philosophy very close to the HG - a place where hitchhikers can share experiences, skills and inspiration and have fun together. Main differences are: pre-set program of concerts, presentations, workshops (also room for spontaneity), infrastructure, food and handicraft stalls, costs to be covered. It´s a donation-based event.
- Ownership/Permission: public land, municipality is supportive of the event
- Food: Dumpster diving should be ok in Marco de Canaveses - needs confirmation. The festival wants to support local organic producers and small food projects (from hitchhikers or local projects). The idea is to have both a self organized community kitchen and food stalls.
- Water: water sources and showers at the site, no bathing possibilities there, but several in the area
- Accessibility: 60 km away from Porto. One has to cross Spain to get to Portugal, which is generally not too bad if it´s done in one go, not leaving the main route through Spain.
- Infrastructure: we´re trying to have (from the municipality, recycling from other festivals, etc): stage, tent for presentations, tent for exhibition, chill out area, welcome area. dry toilets and showers
- There are some really nice festivals in Portugal the weekend before.
- You re welcome to join the organizing team, share ideas or help in any way! [email protected]
Organizing the event
- Hitchgatherings are self-organized: everybody makes them happen
- All communications about organising the gathering happen mainly on the hitchwiki forum. Plenty of the community talk happens in the Facebook group
- a lot of relevant discussion happens on the mailing list
- Feel free to edit this page.
Spread the word
- Tell your friends
- Tell hitchhikers you meet on the road
- Write cardboards with hitchgathering.org, the place and date (and maybe more) and place them at popular hitchhiking spots ... be creative and use your colorful markers!
- Draw your own flyers :)
- Spread the word around hitchhiking clubs and websites in your country/your language
- Post on your hitchhiking / travel / nomad blog or website about the gathering
- Tell your favorite hitchhiking / travel / nomad blog author to write about it
- Organize a pre-meeting (can be early like May/June/July to raise attention and connect people)
- Translate a ready-made article in your local language and offer it to newspapers
Other location Proposals
Alessio proposed HG in Valle del Boia park, and was having talks with the parks association for permission.
Elsewhere? Propose a place
Feel free to suggest other locations for pre/post gatherings around Europe!
Remember to tackle the following questions when you scout for a location:
- Is there space for 20-50 persons?
- Can we acquire drinking water somewhere nearby?
- Are there possibilities to dumpster dive or is food cheap?
- How easy/difficult is it to reach the place?
- How secluded is the place?
- Can we just stay at the place or does it belong to somebody, do we need a permission?
- Can we dig shit pits there?
- Can YOU be there to help organizing in the beginning?
- What else is important? Which things do we need to bring with us?