There are not too many statistics about hitchhiking. Most hitchhikers don't (bother to) keep track of the specific details. Fortunately some do (see Keeping statistics), and it would be great to extract some significant information from their data.
One of the easiest way is to use Hitchlog.com
- The waiting times per country/month/weekday
- The percentage of number plates from other countries (e.g. in SK: 90% SK, 5% CZ, 4% H)
- The average distance per ride
- Distribution of distances per ride
- Pickup times over a 24x7 period (i.e. minimum 168 periods, Mon 00:00-01:00 through Sun 23:00-24:00), possibly per country
- Greatest distance in 24 hour/365 days (not necessarily 00:00-24:00 or 01-01 to 31-12!)
- Add yours
It would be good if all the following data were available under a free license. Creative Commons Attribution would probably be the most sensible.
Some hitchhikers keep track of (part of) their trips on this wiki.
- You might also be interested in these statistics about Hitchwiki.