Earth > Europe > Western Europe > France > Pays de la Loire > Nantes
Nantes is a city in western France of roughly 600,000 inhabitants.
<map lat='47.24' lng='-1.55' zoom='10' view='0' float='right'/>
North towards Rennes
Take the tramway number 2 and get off at "Le Cardo". 20 meters behind you you will see the road going to Rennes. This is a very famous spot which works very well. Cars have place to stop and as there is a roundabout they are not going fast yet.
West towards Saint-Nazaire, Vannes, Brest
There is a nice spot at the commercial center Atlantis. You can reach it with the tramway number 1, get off at the terminus "François Mitterand". Once there, you follow the railways until the next cross-way (20m), there turn right. On the third roundabout is the sublet to the N444. The walk might take you 5 to 10 minutes. Be careful, this spot doesn't work on Sunday. Cars taking this sublet are either people who get home from work at the industrial zone or people who went shopping in the commercial center. On other days of the week it's a good spot. You can be seen and cars have space to stop.
Take the BusWay (line 4 of tram network) to Bourdonnières, cross the carpark and wait at the small roundabout, on Boulevard de Vendee. The first petrol station leaves you on the A83, the motorway towards Niort.
- Close to city center, if you are lucky <map width="450" height="150" lat="47.21748763568856" lng="-1.5170868402786752" zoom="16" view="0" float="right" />Take the tramway number 1 and get off at "Bd de Doulon". Down the street "Boulevard Doulon" and go to the roundabout at the junction with the Boulevard de Sarrebruck. There you can start hitchhike, you can be seen and cars have space to stop.
- On the tramway line : Leclerc gas station <map width="450" height="150" lat="47.250550709699176" lng="-1.5186920382020712" zoom="17" view="0" float="right" /> Take the tramway number 1 and get off at "Haluchere". Cross the tramway rails: the road ahead is Route the Paris, the old road to Paris. If you don't go further then Angers, you can try on this road: continue north-east and you will find cars at the Leclerc petrol station (see below).
- Safest option : at the junction light <map width="450" height="150" lat="47.27052837642497" lng="-1.4776851898498575" zoom="16" view="0" float="right" /> For more distant destinations, it is better to take the highway at the junction 4 km further on Route de Paris. Once you are at the junction, stand at the red light in the middle of the road, in the lane which turns left towards Paris. The cars turning here go all on the highway. You can walk along the lane with your sign when cars are waiting. To get there, from Haluchere.
- you can walk along route de Paris (about 1 hour)
- take bus 77 to Cifam, then 5 minutes walk on the Route de Paris to the traffic lights. (n°77 run only on working days)
- take bus 85 to "Parc" (every day, at least 2/hour) , then 5 minutes walk : take the Rue des carrières till it goes along the Route de Paris, cross the bushes to join it, take on left and walk till the traffic lights.
- get a ride from the Leclerc Petrol Station to the junction.