- How to add information
- What can I do to improve this wiki
- What should be done
- I want to translate articles
- Who administrates this wiki?
- I can improve the design of this website
- I have technical skills. Where is the code?
Does anyone else think it's important to establish some sort of standard for the pages? Most pages are pretty inconsistant with the type of headings and bullets and whatnot used to organize their content. If we can agree on something, we could start cleaning up all the pages. I just worked on London a bunch and Paris a little. Tell me what you think. Zactalk 01:24, 30 November 2006 (CET)
Separating verifiable fact from opinion and personal stories
- moved from User talk:Guaka
Three: here's an idea that crossed my mind while checking some of the contributions by less prolific authors yesterday, particularly the one about the advances from the border guard.
Opinion and personal stories should go in the talk pages (where they can and should be signed). Articles should not contain "I, me, we, or us"; they should be of a similar character to Wikipedia: factual and verifiable. You might like to consider including something of that under project:policies.
Robin Patterson 03:46, 29 Dec 2005 (UTC)
- Well, I was thinking of allowing personal stories, if they are seperated well enough. Stories should be interesting though :) but I guess most stories about hitchhiking, told in a concise way, are interesting. It's not easy to "convert" stories into Wikipedia style articles, and I think we can be abit more free here about what to accept.
At least, I noticed that there were many additions in I, me, we, us" form in the former wiki. I rewrote the stuff that could easily be rewritten, but sometimes it's not. It's still useful information. And most hitchhikers coming here won't check out the Talk pages...
Oh, and by the way, thanks for your work here! It's greatly appreciated! :) Guaka 08:41, 29 Dec 2005 (UTC)
Maybe it's better to get another name for this wiki. Would do you think about Hitchhike Wiki or Hitch Wiki? It's a bit easer to talk about it that way. Comments please! :) Or other suggestions for names :) Guaka 23:48, 24 April 2006 (UTC)
- moved from User talk:Guaka
- Hi there, this Wiki is a great idea and could be an excellent resource for hitch-hikers.
- I agree that the name is a little cumbersome. I would suggest things along the lines of "Practical Hitchhiking", as that seems to be what close to aim of the project. I will think some more and let you know.
- Let's make it that excellent resource!
- Do we want "wiki" to be part of the name?
- At the moment I'm in Peru, close to Lima. Haven't done much hitchhiking recently (last time was in Argentina). And considering the prices of the bus here and the fact that I'm going north (i.e. Colombia) aren't helping for the near future. But I'll probably be hitching in the US and Canada within a couple of months. (I guess it's good for our Google rank to add more wikilinks :) Guaka 15:15, 5 May 2006 (UTC)
Okay, yesterday I asked for it to be called Hitchhiking Wiki and thanks to Angela it was renamed today. Reopen the discussion whenever you please :) Guaka 16:13, 11 May 2006 (UTC)
- It seems that Google picked this up, since we're up to number one at Google, for the search terms hitchhiking wiki. I guess this will lead to a tiny bit more incoming traffic :)
- Now if only Digihitch could update their links, I must have asked for it twice already. Guaka 20:16, 16 May 2006 (UTC)
Names in English or in offical language of region?
We probably want to put both, maybe the English in parentheses, next to the official language name. User:LetheSoda 7:50 am May 12, 2006
I'm also for the original names, for locals don't always know the English version. But brackets for that should be OK for everyone I guess. Deleea 22:06, 18 May 2006 (UTC)
I'm thinking about having the Hitchhiking Wiki hosted somewhere else, so that there won't be any ads anymore. It might be possible at Anarchopedia, but it might be easier to make it part of CouchSurfing. Guaka 02:26, 24 August 2006 (UTC)