|Hitchability:||<rating country='kz' />|
|Meet fellow hitchhikers on Trustroots|
|<map lat='48.05' lng='66.9' zoom='3' view='0' float='right'/>|
Kazakhstan (also spelled Kazakstan) is a country in Central Asia.
The road between Aktobe and Aralsk is terrible, with little asphalt. Vehicles get stuck in the mud all the time and crossing the country this way can take days.
Some drivers of small cars, typically only going a short distance out of cities, will demand money. However, long-distance lifts are typically free. Inside of cities, especially in Almaty it is very common to stop cars and use them as private taxi. This means that you have to leave the city to start hitching, inside it will cause a lot of headache. Experiences in Kazakhstan are different, some people had problems with drivers asking for money again and again, while for others it was no issue at all. For sure whereever you hitch, drivers will stop fast and the ironic fact is that somebody might wants to charge you for a 3 km lift, while the next driver takes you 1200 km from Almaty to Astana and this will be for free.
Nevertheless a very good country for hitching, especially to cover long distances.
The Russian word used to explain Hitchhiking is "Avto stopem" And the local slang for no money is "Kapusta Pusta!" (Literally means "the cabbage is empty") and it's a good way to make those grumpy west Kazakh smile. Witch helps.
- Almaty (the former capital, called Alma-Ata in the Soviet era, and the country's largest city)
- Karaganda (second largest population)
- Shymkent (trird larget population)
- Astana (capital)
- The boat from Baku, Azerbaijan arrives at the port of Aktau. It costs 80 Tenge (110 USD) as of March 2014. The journey itself takes around 25-30 hours but the boat can wait for a few days offshore depending on weather and dock conditions in Aktau.
- Multi-border points are Aisha-Bibi, Sypatay Batyr, Korday, Kegen, Karasu (2010).
- Multi-border points are Kurmangazy, Taskala, Syrym, Aksai, Alimbet, Zhaysan, Kayrak, Akbalshyk, Zhana Zhol, Karakoga, Urlitobe, Sulu Agash, Kosak, Sharbakty, Auyl, Ube, Zhezkent (2010).
- Multi-border points are Tazhen, Zhibek Zholy, B.Konysbaeva, Shardara, Kaplanbek, Syrdarya, Celinny (2010).
- Multi-border point is Temirbaba (2010)
- Multi-border points are Khorgos, Dostyk, Kolzhart, Bakhty, Maykapchagay (2010).
Khorgos border crosing: the only allowed way to cross border is by bus. Border is very serious: dogs, watchtowers, barbed wire, walls, soldiers, about 4 checkpoints between countries, scanners, walls, walls... Crossing border takes about 2-3 hours. It looks like border between worlds and it really feels like that from the cultural point of view. Buses are paid, but z-z-z88 (talk) managed to get a free ride without seat from China to Kazakhstan in 2016. In China without bus ticket you are not allowed even approach border, but bus leader can take you through these pre-border checkpoints. Korn managed to find a ride at the border with a wedding society. It is just a couple of kilometers to the Kazakh side. From there you can walk, once you pass the gate to the customs.
Some Beeline SIM-cards a bit expensive but no need any ID(2010). SMS 0,05USD. Most Kazakh people use either Aktiv or Kcell. It's extremely cheap to make phone calls to other Kcell/Activ users (they are the same company). Passport is needed for this sim card.
- Lot of information, tips and personal experiences of hitch-hiking in Central Asia (Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan). Only in spanish