Hitchhiking news and news archive
Here you are welcome to mention current hitchhiking events, such as big hospitality exchange camps, hitchhike races or meet-ups.
- July 2017 -- Hitchhikers are trying to set up a Hitchgathering in July or August in the province of Minas Gerais, Brazil. If you're around or you might be interested in joining or collaborate in the discussions, join the Brazilian hitchhikers group on Facebook.
- 07 July - 10 July 2017 - 4th Swiss Hitchhiking Championship - A hitchhiking race in the alps. Join us, it's free. Check out also our video: Choose your scenario!
- 14 July - 16 July 2017 - HungaroHitch is an international hitchhiker race. 3 days of adventure, starting from Budapest, Hungary! Check out our Facebook page.
- August 2017 -- 2017 Hitchgathering is coming up! The 10th year anniversary will be a special Transeuropean Hitchgathering which starts at the HitchFest in Portugal, continues with the main Hitchgathering at Traumschule in Germany and finishes with a post-gathering in Shipot, Ukraine.
- 2 August - 6 August 2017 -- HitchFest will gather hitchhikers in Portugal: 4 days for having fun, sharing skills and experiences, with presentations, concerts, workshops and therapies. Join the fb event!
- 7 August - 13 August 2017 -- Marathon de pouce - Second edition of the marathon all around Gaspésie, Quebec
- 12 August - 20 August 2017 -- European Hitchhiking Competition 2017 - 6th edition from Dresden, Germany to Casablanca, Morocco
- 18 August - 2 September 2017 - Tramprennen 2017 - a hitchhiking race across Europe- goes on different routes to the Baltic region! More information on tramprennen.org
- 20th February 2017 There is a new forum for hitchhiker's discussions and the organisation of the hitchgathering at talk.hitchwiki.org.
- 1st - 24th December 2016 There is an advent calender on tramprennen.org. One story about "first time-hitchhiking-experiences" is published everyday. Check http://tramprennen.org/blog/
- 15 November 2016 The first app ever published by Hitchwiki is now available for free (as always) on the Play Store. Download it and keep track of the spots where you hitchhike, your waiting times and so on. In a future version the app will offer you an option to sync your hitching spots with Hitchwiki with no extra work. MyHitchhikingSpots. Special thanks to a random guy who gave an Android phone to one of our hitchhiking developers while traveling in Sweden!
- 25 June 2016 A new official hitchhiking spot has been opened in the Dutch town of Oldemarkt, in response to the insufficient public transport to Steenwijk. In addition a FB group was created to encourage ridesharing on this route.
- 9 April 2016 Tatyana Kozyreva, a well-known Russian hitchhiker, has passed away on the 3rd of April 2016, at the age of 43 in Indonesia, near Bandar Aceh in a diving accident. Tatyana was known for having written and self-published several books on hitchhiking and related topics under the name Tatyana Yashnikova. The talks she gave drew crowds. In the Russian hitchhiking scene she was the most “famous” of the female solo travellers and hitchhikers. A detailed obituary (English), blog article (French) & FB (English)
- 15 January 2016 Help get How to live without money (eBook) translated in English!
- 5 December 2015 New Android Hitchhiking Maps has been released. Offline maps, Street View preview and all of the spots from Hitchwiki: Google Play
- 25 November 2015 Release of eBook from hitchhiking baby Petit Bibi's adventure around the world: bibiontheroad.net
- 30 April 2015 An Austrian Hitchhiking Community is forming with the Name Ausfahrt Links to increase public awareness of people about hitchhiking as a means of transport in Austria. Find more information on the Website, like them on Facebook.
- 24 April 2015 Miran Ipavec has just announced that he has managed to hitch through 31(!) European countries in just under 10 days.
- 26th December 2014 Folks behind Hitchwiki are building a new hospitality exchange community for hitchhikers and other travellers: Trustroots.org — It's time to join it and spread the word!