When not to use
I don't think that's true. I always have a sign and I am a native German speaker. And it definitely helps me. You can just show it to people while they're still in the car and then ask them if they pass by to pay for their gas. If they don't understand what's written on it they also ask. And I already have it with me when getting out of a car, so people sometimes ask me right away if they can take me... So it's definitely good to have it. It doesn't have any negative effects so why not using it? Deleea 14:43, 26 May 2006 (UTC)
- Ok. I changed something and copied your suggestions into the article :) Guaka 18:16, 26 May 2006 (UTC)
Hi everyone, started an examples video and wanted to invite everyone to upload their photos of signs - together we can create a great demo slideshow.IdoSet 11:14, 27 July 2008 (CEST)
Is it really OK to put HH down for Hmaburg? I kind of thought that it had other conotations...
- Not in this context. All cars from Hamburg have it on their license plate. It's definitely OK. --MrTweek 17:48, 25 April 2010 (UTC)
Hi folks. Lots of information on this article is repeated (like the two sections on why not to use signs) and disorganized (like scattered tips about abbreviations without a proper section). There was also some bad grammar and unnatural sentences (relics of translations). I made a major edit. This is what I did:
- Restructured the whole article's sections
- Quoted, paraphrased, and reorganized all the information into the new sections
- Deleted some irrelevant or extraneous parts.
- Made improvements to grammar and phrasing to sound more natural
- Added good information on proper sign usage in areas with different types of traffic
- Replaced all the disorganized instances of "Don't use a sign with local traffic" with a single section saying that many hitchhikers don't use signs in these situations, but there are techniques for them
- Moved anecdotal evidence to a "References" section, with supertext links like this: 
- Added some info on sign abbreviations in the USA
Some of these decisions might be controversial, so if you feel this way, this thread is the appropriate venue to bite me. Still to do:
- I'd like a good picture of a hitchhiker using a sign in typical fashion. The two exisitng photos in the article should probably stay in their respective sections (the reusable sign and guaka's birthday sign).
- More photos in the gallery would be cool.