<small>The overview over the other location proposals and all the info pertaining to the decision-making process can be found at [[Hitchgathering/2021/Archive]].</small>
=== Date ===
The gathering is "officialy" starting August 2nd 2021. Some people
will get there before to plan things up a bit and some pregatherings will very probably happen before too.
=== Location ===
is [https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/43.9890/2.5326 here]. It' s a large area of forest in one of the least densely populated parts of France, and there' s a collective of about 8-12 people living there. They do gardening and steward the forest, and for the future they are quite interested in offering more activities, camps for children, etc., so we might kind of be their guinea pigs :-)
As far as other orga things are concerned... I asked about ~50 people for ~2 weeks. If 100 people suddenly show up, I think it would be an issue. Camping would happen in a somewhat dispersed way - - to have a central camp and then camp in the forest around where you can find the space. There land is generally steep, but there are ancient terraces, and it's also possible to shape the terrain with a shovel to make it more amenable for camping. And of course hammocks will rule supreme :D There is plenty of firewood, plenty of wood for constructions, drinking water too. If we want to use their electricity and electrical amenities, we would probably donate some money; the same is also true for tools (saws, axes, shovels) -- we could decide if we want to bring some or perhaps they will also get some more tools for their future activities and we could support their purchase.
= Pros ====
Swimming! 20 minutes walking from the Tarn, a gorgeous swimmable river. There are also apparently waterfalls on the land that one can swim at.* Gorgeous place, legal camping, cool people.* The people living there are not at all worried about us bringing them Covid, or anything in regards to that.
* Of course transphobia exists in France, but probably not more than in most places.
* If you remember them from your childhood, it's very close to where [https://www.maxitoys.lu/media/catalog/product/cache/fcf6fde2aecaa3a19404630833ab6e02/1/0/10940997-10940997-mt_picture1-64139.jpg Kaplas] were invented!
Cons == ==
* There isn't really any space there to park cars if anybody wants to bring one. (But after all, it's the hitchgathering... right?^^) * Since it's a remote region, dumpsters are not very close. * They have quite a few dogs there already, so while not saying that no dogs should come, they were a bit scared by the thought that we 'are like them and 50 people would come with 50 dogs'.
How to get there ===
==== Hitchhiking ==== Nearest highways are [[A75 (France)|A75]] and [[A68 (France)|A68]]. From there you' ll have to make another 50-60km on smaller roads.
Public Transport ==== see entry under [[Hitchgathering/2021#Public_transport:|''nearby infrastructure - public transport'']]
Infrastructure (Civillization) ===
==== Next town: Réquista (6km) ====
* [[Albi]] (48km): hospital
* Rodez (54km): hospital
==== Public transport: ====
Website for the regional public transport: https://lio.laregion.fr/
bus tickets are ~2€ even for longer distances
* Réquista (6km): bus ([https://img-scoop-cms.airweb.fr/uploads/sites/7/706-Albi-R%C3%A9quista.pdf Albi - Requista (706)] and [https://img-scoop-cms.airweb.fr/uploads/sites/16/219-Requista-Rodez-d%C3%A8s-le-01092020.pdf Requista - Rodez (219)], single ticket 2€)
* Tanus(29km): bus, train
* Albi (48km): bus, train
* Rodez (54km): bus, train
* [[Toulouse]] (120km): flixbus, blablabus, train
* Montauban (121km): flixbus, blablabus, train
* [[Montpellier]] (161): flixbus, blablabus, train
==== Next dumpsters: ? ====
=== Organizing ===
==== Questions/local research ====
A.P. on the mailing list proposed to ask questions to locals since someone they know lives nearby. Rom. will be there around mid-July.
Also, [[User:Swaden]] will get there around June 10th to ask questions and possibly bring some stuff. So list here questions you'd want them to ask/setup : * What are the possibilities for dumpster diving? Where are the spots? Do we have to bring and buy food ? * Borrowing bicycles? * What are the busiest roads? General tips for getting there by hitchhiking * Is there cooking gear to borrow (or even a kitchen) ? Are there toilets or even showers ? * How is electricity ? Do we receive cellular network and is there WiFi or Internet ? * Corona border situation from a local POV? * What is the locals language proficiency? * Where do we camp? Do we have to bring our own shelters ? * What about this 50 people limit? How flexible is it? Is there a backup plan nearby? * Do we need to bring tools? * How is the general infrastructure?==== what we have ====
* drinking water
* wood for construction
what we need ====
* boats, scuba gear and a plan for building a raft for the river :-)
=== Activities ===
Think about workshops you could organise! (It's very low-key.) So far, there are ideas about making circles about DIY gear-making and rounds of what-is-in-my-backpack, lockpicking workshops, herbal walks. At past gatherings there were many great workshops such as womens' circles, how-to for political marriages, clay oven building, capture-the-flag... etc pp.
There will be games, music, dumpsterdiving, occasional skinnydipping. Massage circles and hopefully many, many workshops. Late-night joints and bottles of wine passed around, discussions on how to -- you know...
==== Knot workshop ====
I'll bring some sythetic ropes (also hanf three stranded rope) so we can all study together decorative and useful knots from beginner to more advanced. [[User:Swaden|Swaden]] ([[User talk:Swaden|talk]])
=== COVID-19 ===