Hitchhike to Paris on 888, August 8th, 2008...08/08/2008...888
On the 8th of August over a hundred people (and counting) will join up to hitchhike to Paris from different places around Europe and further. Join this amazing event with fellow hitchhikers. We invite you to join this event and have an amazing adventure and a great weekend in Paris. Please sign up for this event and help organising it.
The 888 Project seeks to ask you to hitchhike from all corners of Europe and beyond (whether from Belfast, Istanbul, Helsinki or Lisbon) to arrive at the Eiffel Tower - this world-renowned French lighthouse - in Paris on 888, August 8th, 2008. Participate in the first European Hitchhiking Week and Day and take part in the open space day on Saturday: "How to life a nomad-life", on hitchhiking, sustainable travel and hospitality exchange, with games, workshops, skill-sharing and knowledge exchange.
Help organising! Things to do:
- Organise a local Project 888 Meeting in your country or city to team up with hitchhikers. Use an invitation, and adapt it to your local context, organise a location (your home, your host's home, a local bar, etc), invite other people through your favourite hospitality exchange community, etc, and add your meeting.
- Translate the press-release and spread it.
- Help organising events in Paris:
Check the Project 888/Volunteer pages for coordination and to see how you can help making 888 a success !
We Need Help To Organise The Actual 888 Weekend
Here's the program so far:
- Meeting under the Eiffel Tower until late (you know how we will look like)
- We will play some Games
- We will all move to a camp-ground/ or your host.
- We will be having an Open-Space Day starting at 11:00. The theme of this day is "How to life a nomad-life", on hitchhiking, sustainable travel and hospitality exchange, with games, workshops, skill-sharing and knowledge exchange. Place yet to be determined.
- Brunch starting at 1pm at Parc des Buttes de Chaumond?
These 'speeches'/ workshops will form an integral part of the open space day on Saturday (in progress).
- The Organizers
Once the European hitchhikers will have arrived, the organizers will address the hitchhikers.
This address will be followed by the speech of Ludovic Hubler (a Frenchman who has just come back from a five-year hitchhiking journey around the world. During his trip, Ludovic organized conferences in more than 200 schools, met a large number of NGOs and organized some international events to create a network between them.
- The Sustainable Side of the Project
A French association called Nature Propre supports the project The association aims at promoting sustainable development through a certain number of programs and the 888 project is one of the key projects of Nature Propre. Guillaume Mouton and Thomas Chretiennot will deliver a speech about the substainable side attached to the project.
The checkpoint cities
Participants are hitching from different locations. To make an overview of who is hitching from where, and to make coordination a bit easier, there is an overview of the Project 888/Cities. The cities are categorized according to distance from Paris. In some of the cities there are also Project 888/Meetings that are held in the week towards the 8th of August.
You are asked to sign up in the cities you are departing from, or crossing. You can use either the event-pages on Couchsurfing, or the Project 888/Cities. Participants are also using this group to discuss different routes.
The Documentary Project
The 888 project community has decided to get together and unite to make a documentary about hitchhiking. Different cameramen will be joining different hitchhikers across their journey:
- Pascal Dumont will be filmed by Fabrice Renucci and they will hitch from Yerevan,Armenia to Paris, France.
- Martin Boserup will be filmed by Misha Fournial and they will hitch from Saint Peterburg, Russia to Paris, France
We are also inviting all the people wishing to meet up with hitchhikers from all over the world on August 8th, to participate in this documentary project through any way they would feel like: You can either:
- Keep a journal
- Take photos
- Record with an audio recorder
The film project will be a sort of patchwork using all the material that the hitchhikers will bring with them on August 8th.
Help from Paris on 888
We are contacting the Paris community in order to host all the Europeans who are coming to Paris on 888. We are also considering a location for camping. Please read this thread
- Please register on the I Need A Place To Stay Sign Up Page if you are looking for a place to stay
- Please register on the I Can Host Hitchhikers Sign Up Page if you live in Paris and you are willing to host people.
This subgroup was designed to find 2 teams who can work on D-Day- 888- to answer hitchhikers' phonecalls. What these two teams will need to do to help the 8 8 8 project:
- Have a landline phone number -Be at home on the 8.8.8 throughout the whole day and evening
- Know the hitchhiking spots on a circumference of 200 ks around Paris
- Know the Paris transportation system so that the hitchhikers who are lost can easily reach the Palais de Tokyo
- Have a list of people who can host (they do not necessarily need to be on C.S. on H.C.
- we will establish this list and send it to the two teams)
Please register on the
I Want To Volunteer For The Call Center Team 2 Sign Up Page if you would like to volunteer in one of our teams.
How to hitchhike out of Paris?
Check the page about Paris to find spots to leave the city.
- Bernd Wechner
- Bug Europe
Sign Up Now
Contact Us Now
Please feel free to contact us if you wish to bring your help to the project:
Fabrice Renucci- fabrice.renucci [at] hotmail.fr +(33)612871824