Hitchgathering is the name of a series of international hitchhiking gatherings held in Europe and Northern America since 2008.
Time: early August.
Organizing the event
- All communications about organising the gathering happen mainly on the hitchwiki forum. PLenty of the community talk happens in the Facebook group.
- Feel free to edit this page.
Proposing a place
Remember to tackle the following questions when you scout for a location:
- Is there space for 100-200 persons?
- Can we acquire drinking water somewhere nearby?
- Are there possibilities to dumpster dive or is food cheap?
- How easy/difficult is it to reach the place?
- How secluded is the place?
- Can we just stay at the place or does it belong to somebody, do we need a permission?
- Can we dig shit pits there?
- Can YOU be there to help organizing in the beginning?
- What else is important?
Traumschule in Riebau, Germany
- Location: Northern Germany, close to Salzwedel, in the village of Riebau at Traumschule [map], hosp-ex profiles on BW, CS
- Ownership/Permission: We are happy to host a gathering with free contributions again: food, knowledge, money, sleeping bags, what people need. [...] This is an open space and if you like, feel invited! [...] Kardan from Riebau
- Food: dumpsters below average on German standards, but more could be found, cake dumpster in Salzwedel, an organic food source from local producers could probably be organized
- Water: Water is available 50 meters from where we would camp
- Infrastructure: (dry) toilets, solar shower, bikes, workshops, material
- Accessibility: Easy to reach, centrally located, 80-100km away from the highway (A24, A7, A2), ~10km to small city Salzwedel
- Huge wonderful lake nearby, but not so close ~20km (Arendsee)
- Cool things to explore: an abandoned train station building, earthships, and
semi-abandoned military barracks and stuff...
- All summer-long project happening meanwhile: 'anti-civilisatory summer camp' with workshops and exchange of
information and skills and visions (program)
- Considerate behavior with pets and electronics expected on the site
- Organizers, supporters available: N0id, YOU?
- Some pictures from the abandoned train station (only a part of the area)
- Location: Western Ukraine, Zakarpats'ka oblast, near the village Shypit (or Shipot, Шипот in Ukrainian)', [map]
- The site has been the location of a well-known hippie-festival for many years
- Ownership/Permission: unclear, the land is said to belong to nobody
- Food: dumpster diving unlikely, but low cost of living / cheap food
- Water: the water from a river nearby is reported to be drinkable
- Accessibility: rather remote, minor mountain roads, far away from bigger cities, ~80km to Mukachevo
- Infrastructure: a big frame to put a tarp over with benches around a fire pit
- Organizers, supporters available: YOU?
- Some folks got together to organize a hitchhiking festival this year in portugal. For logisitcal reasons (municipality) dates had to change to 2-6 August - which is about traditional HG dates. Some folks suggested this could be this year´s HitchGathering, which the organizers would find awesome (people could come earlier and stay longer then the announced HF dates). The other nice possibility it to have the HG afterwards, and HF as a kinda pre-gathering, where we´d promote the HG and lauch a hitchhiking caravan to get there.
Concept: Goals and philosophy very close to the HG - a place where hitchhikers can share experiences, skills and inpiration and have fun together. Main differences are: pre-set program of concerts, presentations, workshops (also room for spontaneity), infrastructure, food and handicraft stalls, costs to be covered. It´s a donation-based event.
- Location: in Marco de Canaveses (Portugal – Porto's district), on the Montedeiras Park (Parque de Merendas de Montedeiras) at edge of the small Montedeiras mountains
- Ownership/Permission: public land, municipality is supportive of the event
- Food: Dumpster diving should be ok in Marco de Canaveses - needs confirmation. The festival wants to support local organic producers and small food projects (from hitchhikers or local projects). The idea is to have both a self organized community kitchen and food stalls.
- Water: water sources and showers at the site, no bathing possibilities there, but several in the area
- Accessibility: 60 km away from Porto. One has to cross Spain to get to Portugal, which is generally not too bad if it´s done in one go, not leaving the main route through Spain.
- Infrastructure: we´re trying to have (from the municipality, recycling from other festivals, etc): stage, tent for presentations, tent for exhibition, chill out area, welcome area. dry toilets and showers
- There are some really nice festivals in Portugal the weekend before.
- You re welcome to join the organizing team, share ideas or help in any way! [email protected]
(Bits and pieces of information taken from the mailing list, partly posted on hitchwiki-talk)