Traumschule in Riebau
open space, platform for actions, nomadbase, Hackerspace, ecovillage and much more. It belongs to the Freiräume foundation and is part of a wider Nomadbase-Network promoting the concept of free learning, self-organized skillsharing and DIY projects.
- Blog: ts.blogsport.de (mostly german, some english and russian)
- RSS, Mailinglist, contact
- on hospitality platforms: trustroots.org, BeWelcome, Couchsurfing (couchwiki, nomadwiki, sharewiki, trashwiki)
- also on hackerspaces, totalism (list of nomadbases), autoorganisation.org (german)
- mastodon, diaspora
Location & Maps
How to get there
<map lat="52.859996" lng="11.27353" zoom="12" view="0" float="right" />
The Traumschule is located in Riebau, about ten kilometers East of Salzwedel which can be reached from different directions. The place is about 80-100km away from highways (A2, A7, A24) and 3km from national road B189 (Pretzier). Train tracks on the area connect Salzwedel and Wittenberge, which has been clear-cut during the last gathering and it was told that during 2018 trains are supposed to go on weekends.
Depending on where you come from you can take different national roads to reach Salzwedel - from there take the B190 towards Arendsee until the village of Pretzier.
From the south (Magdeburg, A2): B71 until Stappenbeck (5 km before Salzwedel, after Mahlsdorf) - K1003 - Pretzier - K1003 - Riebau. You can try to take the shortcut Stappenbeck-Pretzier, which is 6 km away.
From Pretzier follow Riebauer Dorfstraße for about 3km until you're in Riebau. Where the road turns left towards Jeebel turn right and directly left - you'll see the fire station on right, opposite to Traumschule.
As the spot is well known in the area usually people are curious to bring you to the door directly when asking for Pretzier, telling that the last three kilometres are no problem to walk. Bear in mind that it is about 80-100km away from the highway and that you might need one, two hours or more for that distance.
- (dry) toilets
- Solar shower
- Bikes, three-room bikeshop in basement
- Workshops, material
- Free shop area
- organic food can be acquired from local producers in Groß Chüden, Volzendorf and Güstritz.
- Drinking water is available at the camp site
The place is open and hosts guests.
To be here, usually not much is needed. The kitchen is filled with food most of the time and the house offers a lot of rooms with sleeping opportunities. If you intend to visit the place, you can add yourself to "Inbound" and send an email to the crew with the intended dates, to make it easier for others, to accomodate you.
Between public events there is an emergency crew present at the place to care of the basic infrastructure and to welcome guests. However more people are needed as a permanent / temporary crew to improve the workshops. If you think of joining the crew for a week or two, you can add your name here:
- present: Kardan
- Idea: Have a constantly warm room without the need of heating during the winter, setup with spare material and low-costs.
- Next steps: Cover insulation with clay, set up an inner wall with windows and wood to prepare the space for a small winter crew. Contact: Kardan, Oli
- Progress: In 2016 the house became a closed interior, in 2017 the inner and outer walls got additional layers of clay to improve the heat storage capacity and close some holes that resulted from drying and weather. During the summer days inside the temperature rises to more than 30°C which is optimal to dry the walls. more images
Ongoing Currently there are no public workshops'.'
This is the place to publicly announce workshops or events.
The following projects are open for volunteers interested in skillsharing. Add your name if you are interested.
- Water system:
- Water heating system
- Idea: Have one big common room with floor heating during the winter to be powered with a compost heating.
- Steps: Install floor heating to the lounge (and clay), construct compost heating next to the building
- Date: No date yet.
- This project can only take place with 5 to 15 participants.
- Interested: Kardan (contact)
If Traumschule is on your route, you can add your name and the estimated time here to meet others at this place.
To find travel partners to leave this place, you can add your name here with the direction and date.
Traumschule in Riebau was one of the locations for Hitchgathering 2017 from August 10th to 26th.
We are happy to host a gathering with free contributions again: food, knowledge, money, sleeping bags, what people need. [...] This is an open space and if you like, feel invited! [...] Kardan from Riebau
(besides the Hitchgathering the Traumschule hosts an all-summer long self-organized open-space summercamp)
People who come early can set to help up the infrastructure for the people to come - build an additional dry toilet, put up signs, check dumpster locations and the like. The German Competetive Hitchhiking Club will gather the weekend before (4-6th August) to start with some preparations. Event on FB You are welcome to join!
There is a Piratepad with an overview of organisational to-do's! See here.
Dogs are expected to be on a leash 24/7 (either physical or mental leash is okay). Electronics should not be used in some parts of the area.
What to do
- Huge wonderful swimming lake about ~20km away (Arendsee on map, directions from the camp)
- things to explore: an abandoned train station building, earthship, and semi-abandoned military barracks
- All summer-long project happening meanwhile: 'anti-civilisatory summer camp' with workshops and exchange of information and skills and visions (schedule)
- Visit alternative projects in the region (Altmark, Wendland).