Hitchgathering is the name of a series of international hitchhiking gatherings held in Europe and Northern America since 2008.
Organizing the event
- Hitchgatherings are self-organized: everybody makes them happen
- All communications about organising the gathering happen mainly on the hitchwiki forum. Plenty of the community talk happens in the Facebook group
- a lot of relevant discussion happens on the mailing list
- Feel free to edit this page.
Propose a place
Feel free to suggest locations for main/pre/post gatherings around Europe!
Remember to tackle the following questions when you scout for a location:
- Is there space for 100-200 persons?
- Can we acquire drinking water somewhere nearby?
- Are there possibilities to dumpster dive or is food cheap?
- How easy/difficult is it to reach the place?
- How secluded is the place?
- Can we just stay at the place or does it belong to somebody, do we need a permission?
- Can we dig shit pits there?
- Can YOU be there to help organizing in the beginning?
- What else is important? Which things do we need to bring with us?
Traumschule in Riebau (germany)
Why not Traumschule again? If there are multiple options again, it would be great to host you once more, even as an intermediate spot between other gatherings.
- Is there space for 20-50 persons? Yes
- Can we acquire drinking water somewhere nearby? Yes
- Are there possibilities to dumpster dive or is food cheap? Yes
- How easy/difficult is it to reach the place? See How to get there
- How secluded is the place? The place is about 80-100km away from highways (A2, A7, A24) and three kilometers from national road B189 (Pretzier). Train tracks on the area connect Salzwedel and Wittenberge, which has been clearcut during the last gathering and it was told that during 2018 trains are supposed to go on weekends.
- Can we just stay at the place or does it belong to somebody, do we need a permission? The place belongs to the Freiräume foundation created for open spaces like this.
- Can we dig shit pits there? Yes, at designated spots.
- Who will help organizing in the beginning?
- What else is important? Which things do we need to bring with us? Besides enough time not much more than the usual hitching equipment like a sleeping bag, little money for service costs and durable food.