- UK: 4,429 km
- Turkey: 3,549 km
- Poland: 3,364 km
- Belarus: 1,351 km
- Slovakia: 1,341 km
- United States: 1,336 km
- Japan: 1,160 km
- Czech Republic: 1,154 km
- Austria: 993km
- Georgia: 944 km
- Croatia: 640 km
- Serbia: 488 km
- Egypt: 387 km
- Armenia: 382 km
- Israel: 342 km
- Bulgaria: 341 km
- Slovenia: 328 km
- Russia (Kaliningrad): 243 km
- Bosnia & Herzegovina: 228 km
- Ireland: 215 km
- Morocco: 191 km
- Ukraine: 168 km
- Belgium: 67 km
- Canada: 48 km
Total: 23,689 km
As of February 17, 2019.
Taken from hitchlog.com
(*)means I only hitched through the country
- Most distance covered with a single driver: 883 km
July 26 & 27, 2015: Ukrainian trucker in a Bulgarian truck who took me almost all the way from the Georgian-Turkish border at Sarpi to Bolu on my way to Istanbul within two days. Got this ride after a desperate, 2.5h wait near the border. Stayed a night in Samsun with a friend and then hitched this guy completely randomly again the next day near Merzifon.
- Longest single ride: 516 km
July 18 & 19, 2015: 'twas the morning of Bayram... Samsun to Batumi - Georgian trucker, whose truck kept breaking down, while the guy had to find an ATM that would accept AmEx and a place to top up his phone - needless to say, it took 14 hours and I arrived to Batumi at 3 am(but I got there and that's what matters :)
- Longest wait: 6 hrs
April 16, 2017: Atlanta, GA, various I-75 on-ramps. A cumulative wait time for 3 different spots. First was 3 hrs without any success, although 2 cars stopped (both going in the wrong direction). The second spot attracted an uber driver from Haiti after approx. 20 min., who took me for free to the next exit (about 3 miles, still deep suburbia). Third spot was completely hopeless and I gave up after 3 hours in the Sun and took a bus to Tennessee the next day. It was Easter Sunday, which might explain it...
- Highest speed: ~190kph
June 24th, 2017: Warsaw to Lviv, between Garwolin and Lublin. Polish IT guy on his way to see his family in Zamosc, which was great as he took close to the border really quickly. Approximate speed as I could not see the speedometer, but when I finally got my phone to check the speed, GPS said 185 kph and it seemed to me he was going slower than previously.
- Best 24 Hours: 654 km
June 17th, 2017: Bratislava to Warsaw. 4 out of 5 drivers were Polish. Hitched on the highway in Bratislava and got picked up within 10 mins. Beat previous record by only 14 km (same route, opposite direction).
- Most rides hitched within 24 hours: 15 rides
June 24th, 2017: Warsaw to Lviv, wondering through the Polish countryside near Zamosc while trying to get to a small border crossing with pedestrians allowed. Very little traffic and extremely sparsely populated (never seen a better definition of "middle of nowhere" and I've been to freaking Wyoming!) - lesson learned...
- Ukraine(entering through the famous split village), Moldova(+Transnistria), Romania
- Serbia(Vojvodina, visiting Slovak villages), Romania (Banat, visiting Czech villages), Macedonia, Kosovo, Albania, Montenegro
- Iran+Kurdistan (you know which country I'm talking about) [currently planned for Summer 2019]
- UAE, Oman, Saudi, Jordan, Cyprus
- Morocco, Western Sahara, Mauritania, Senegal, Gambia, possibly Mali, Burkina Faso, Togo, Benin, Nigeria
- Russia to Japan (via Sakhalin)
- Wildest of all, although apparently not entirely impossible: Bratislava to Ushuaia, including the Bering Strait via Magadan, Chukotka and eventually Nome, Alaska - would require a lot of outdoor camping experience, expensive, extreme cold outdoor gear, permits, media coverage/support and a good will/marketing deal with a local Alaskan airline (Chukotka to Alaska flight)
|This user gives permission to use his/her contributions under the Creative Commons|
Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International Licence