I'm of the female gender. My first language in French. I hitchhiked mainly in North America and Europe. I'm currently based in Montreal, Canada and recently back from Iqaluit, Nunavut. I'm trying to gather hitchhikers from/in Quebec in a group. If you are interested in joining, click here or join us on Facebook.
In February 2011, I started a blog in French to promote general hitchhiking culture and my publications/talks. You can find it here : Globestoppeuse
I give talks on travelling solo, especially for women. I believe it is a road to self-development. Watch it on YouTube.
I also like sharing my Collection of Bookmarks on Hitchhiking, AFAIK the biggest available right now on the net. You can also follow me on my French Twitter account or follow me on my less updated English account.
I co-wrote a book with two French guys, "La bible du grand voyageur" (Lonely Planet, September 2012). It's a howto manual about alternative travelling : hitchhiking, boat/plane hitchhiking, cargo ships, ridesharing, but also urban foraging (and foraging in general), hospex networks, spontaneous hospitality, urban camping, etc. I'd like to see it translated to English.
I also research as a dilettante on the following topics : hitchhiking, mobility, contemporary nomadism, women perspectives, sexual assaults and fear, etc. I'm willing to collaborate with anyone researching those topics, participating in interviews, sharing papers, ideas or networks. I'm not attached to any university.
I estimate my hitchhiking experience to be around 110,000 km now.
- Canada: Montreal-Rimouski (>15X), Montreal-Magdalen Islands (2x), Newfoundland-Montreal, Toronto-Ottawa (3x), Iqaluit-Apex (hehehe)
- Peru: Half hitching/paying in Valle Sagrado, around Maras and Urubamba
I tried to put my routes on a google map to make it more visual, but it freezes the map (too much stuff)
- Scandinavia: Copenhagen-Oland-Jonkoping-Stockholm, Oslo-Götenberg
- Ireland: Dublin-Rosslare
- France: Cherbourg-Rennes, Paris-Compiegne (5x?), Compiegne-Lille (4x), then round trip Paris via Dordogne, Montpellier and Clermont-Ferrand, Perche, Brittany and Herault quite extensively..
- Belgium: Paris-Bruxelles (2x), Brugges-Lille.. Brussels-Brugges, Brugges-Gent, Bruges-Antwerp, Brussels-Koblenz
- Germany & Austria: Paris-Cologne, Cologne-Dortmund, hating Cologne, Frankfurt-Cologne, Cologne-Berlin (4x), Essen-Bremen (2x), Berlin-Vienna (3x), Vienna-Munich, Bremen-Brussels, Frankfurt-Paris...
- United Kingdom: Manchester-Newcastle, Edinburgh-Loch Leven, Edinburgh-Prestwick
- Switzerland: Konstanz-Gossau
- Turkey: Eskisehir-Ankara-Cappadocia-Konya, Antalya-Izmir
- Spain & Portugal: Porto-Santiago-Oviedo, Bilbao-Toulouse
Probably forgetting a few :)