Hitchwiki:How to participate
- Create an account and describe yourself and your hitchhiking activity - and edit articles while you're logged in.
- Add your knowledge to Hitchwiki. Just click edit (even on this page!) or create a new page. Don't worry about formatting or layout. There are a lot of keen eyes watching around and fixing stuff.
- Please avoid writing in first person. Instead share personal experiences in a section dedicated to yourself and/or in third person linking to your user page (like Iran#Personal experiences). See also this thread and community portal.
- Upload pictures - or add pictures from Wikimedia Commons.
- Improve the spelling, fix typos.
- Spread the word - Hitchwiki helped you on your hitchhiking trips, other hitchhikers might not be aware of the project yet - or people might even have never hitchhiked before and Hitchwiki can help them get on the road.
- Link to http://hitchwiki.org/ - from your blog, from Facebook, from Twitter, from anywhere.
- Mention Hitchwiki when you get interviewed as a hitchhiker.
- Discuss ideas, propose suggestions for improvements
Your own pictures
Uploading at Wikimedia Commons is preferred since it saves Hitchwiki bandwidth and the pictures can also be used on the many projects that are part of Wikimedia, such as Wikipedia and Wiktionary.
From Wikimedia Commons
We prefer to have pictures that are somehow related to hitchhiking but it's nicer to have some picture than none. Once you have found a picture at Wikimedia Commons it's title will look like File:Some Filename.jpg. You can simply copy that and add it as [[File:Some Filename.jpg]] on any page at Hitchwiki. You can also do fancier things like [[File:Some Filename.jpg|thumb|300px|Description]].